how to root sgp5

Discussion in 'Android Rooting and Custom ROMs' started by kobun, Jan 15, 2012.

1. kobun

kobun New Member

hi im new to android and this site i have a question if anyone can help me please i bought a galaxy player 5 a week ago and i read that you can root this device but i don't know how to start i have gingerbread 2.3.5

Sent from my YP-G70 using Everything Android
  2. sherri

sherri Well-Known Member

Start with "why do you want to root"?

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

stevetaz Super Moderator Staff Member

An excellent question Sherri......
  5. kobun

kobun New Member

i want to see why to many people root their devices what are the benefits just curiosity

6. stevetaz

stevetaz Super Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you should do more reading to understand what rooting does for you. I believe that rooting also voids your warranty, which may not be the best thing for a brand new device.

Are you happy with the way your device works? Does it do what you want? Are there things you would like to do with it or customize that you can't seem to do?

Look into this a bit deeper to understand what rooting gives you the freedom to do before you jump in.

Just my opinion.....
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Some of the things rooting will allow you to do is:
    - Load a Custom ROM
    - Remove pre-installed system apps
    - Change system settings
    - Install themes

Like Steve said, it does void your warranty, but if you are ok with that, and want to do some of the things listed then go for it.
  8. sherri

sherri Well-Known Member

Most of you know why I rooted my OG Droid. I really want going to root the tablet. I like the Touch Wiz Launcher.....didn't have a lot of "bloat"...I rooted it this because the screen wouldn't rotate in too many apps. I tend to use it in portrait mode, and tablets were meant to work best in landscape....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
  9. kobun

kobun New Member

thanks for the comments
    I want to get rid of some of the system apps and get cyanogen, I think this is how is called I'm not to worry about my warranty and try to install ics on my galaxy player and emulators

10. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Not sure there is am ICS Rom for the Galaxy Player...yet