1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

How to use Google Now

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Sep 24, 2012.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

So Verizon updated the Nexus this morning to Jelly Bean. I didn't have time to setup Google now during the install, so I said later. Trying to figure out how to start it.

Searching on here brought up 10 pages of matches on game announcements.
    Searching on Google on the web brings up lots of what it is, bu not how to turn it on...

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    2 ways

1. On the lock screen slide the lock icon up to highlight the word 'Google'
    2. On an away phone click and hold the 'home' icon and slide up to highlight the word 'Google'

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Does this explain it?

5. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Both of those show you how to access it if it is "turned on". Neither show you how to get the cards up and displayed if you don't. Finally found the trick. on the Google search bar, swipe the keyboard down tape the 3 dots menu, then you can turn it on.

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Pretty darn kewl what it can do. Can't seem to make some of the cards come up all the time, like weather. I swiped it to the side to see what would happen...it disappeared and now doesn't come back.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    It will come back when it changes (ie; rain or what not) or just say or type 'Weather' and it will come back

8. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I have it set to show all the time and it doesn't tho?

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    If you swipe it away then it will come back on the next change or when you ask it (ie say or type weather)
    I have mine set to always, but its not always in the sense that it will ALWAYS be there, but if you see the other options 'morning' or 'evening' it will show both morning AND even rather than one or the other...

Make sense?

10. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Maybe I guess? Just have to work with it more. I'm trying to make it recognize my voice to send a text to my wife. It takes "Justine" and "Just been" <G>

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Here's one trick...only use her first name, not our last name <G>. Apparently having a last name that only 8 people in the country have screws up Google <G>

12. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    yeah I have a friend named Dija that I just HAD to give a nickname.
    It would either think I was saying did you or dj. That got old quick

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    How do you give someone a nickname?

14. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Not same phone, but I had to edit the contact info. Couldn't distinguish between "Bari" and "Terry"...Terry become "Theresa"...

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

15. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    I usually just take a prominent characteristic about them and then call them that.
    You can use middle names, sports jersey numbers, favorite food. It's really just up to you.
    Once you pick one just go in and change the contacts first name on your phone to the new nickname

16. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Um....I meant how do you assign someone a nickname in a contact (g). certainly I've never seen that feature in outlook.

17. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    How do you get the traffic card to know your route to home?

18. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Isn't that what was mentioned? Change the first name in the contact to the nickname.

Not sure I would want to give up the accuracy of my contact list to satisfy an app.

19. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Open up Google Now
    hit the 3 dots on the bottom
    hit settings
    hit traffic
    at the Home box type your address

20. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I can't get that to follow my menus
    3 dots - check
    Settings - check
    Nothing is there for traffic
    (I have Google Now, Voice, Phone Search, Privacy and Feedback).

If I go one level up and do sample cards, selet Traffic, and Settings, I have choices of
    Card appears
    Transportaton mode
    and some notifications

21. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You have to click on Google Now if you want to change those settings so hit that and traffic will be there. Sorry.