1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

How to use groups in Google Contacts to filter calls etc

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Arfer, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Arfer

Arfer New Member

Nov 21, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hi everyone,

I can't believe I'm not the only one wanting this functionality......
    What I'm after is to be able to select any group within my Google contacts and send that group to voice mail as a group globally ie If I'm in a meeting I want my Google contacts friends group and family group sent to voice mail but my business group stays as normal and then the ability to put my family group on after the meeting and the friends group when I finish work.
    Is this possible within Android natively ?

Or is there an App (which I have searched for , I promise :))
    The best anyone has suggested to me is this:
    Mr. Number
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...i5ibG9ja2VyIl0.
    This doesn't do what I want as it means making whitelists / globally all contacts as filters.
    So I'm hoping I can get something that interacts with Google contacts groups,rather than have to rebuild massive lists. Seems to me a big oversight if it's not possible, after all what's the point of groups within contacts unless you can utilise them?
    Any thoughts ? Look forward to your reply :) TIA

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    This may do some of what you are looking for.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Arfer

Arfer New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks for the reply,
    Yes it's along the right lines but is no longer being developed and not for use Gingerbread onwards.
    Can't believe this most obvious and helpful of functions is not available or that people aren't hollering out for it. Everyone of my friends I've asked about this all once I've explained it are amazed it's not available.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    So does that mean this is something the iPhone does and therefore every other manufacturer should? Frankly I have never heard of it.

Does sound like something some users might want, but I don't know that it rises to the level of must have for any device. The fact one developer had something similar, but chose to not continue developing may mean there wasn't much demand.

I will continue to look around to see if I find anything else similar for you.

6. Arfer

Arfer New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks again for the reply, firstly I didn't know this was something available on iPhone and if it is well done. Everyone I've run the idea past can't understand why it's not available, fact. Why have groups within Google contacts unless they provide useful functionality ?
    Thanks for continuing to look.

7. Arfer

Arfer New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    The best anyone has suggested to me is this:
    Mr. Number
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...i5ibG9ja2VyIl0.
    This doesn't do what I want as it means making whitelists / globally all contacts as filters.
    it's along the right lines but is no longer being developed and not for use Gingerbread onwards.
    Can't believe this most obvious and helpful of functions is not available or that people aren't hollering out for it.
    Everyone of my friends I've asked about this all once I've explained it are amazed it's not available.
    Why have groups within Google contacts unless they provide useful functionality ?

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Okay. We understand you think this should be included, but it is not. You are repeating yourself.

Think about what you are saying.....Everyone of your friends tells you they are amazed it isn't available, but that would indicate none of them ever looked for it because they didn't think it was that important. Groups in Google contact may actually be used by others for many things you don't think are important.

Give it a rest and stop posting the same rant over again.

Take a look at this app. Maybe it could help?

9. Arfer

Arfer New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Hardly a rant, that app looks promising though

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Yes, you are right. Must be my imagination.......