1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

How to WiFi Tether on the Incredible

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by n99hockey, Jul 18, 2010.

1. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007

Sponsored Ad

So it took me quite a while to get this to work, so I thought I would save all of you Incredible owners an easy step by step guide with the proper files to turn your Incredible in to a WiFi hotspot.

1. Download the WiFi apk file to your PC.
    2. Download the .bin file taken from an HTC Evo system dump, put it on your PC as well. It is important to do this WITH a PC, for some reason it wouldnt work when I did all the steps from the phone itself.
    3. Hook your phone to the PC and mount your SD card.
    4. Open the SD Card and create a folder called android.tether in the root of your SD Card (that means not in any folders)
    5. Now, move both the apk file and bin file to this newly created folder
    6. Disconnect the phone from the PC, open up a file manager on the phone and navigate to the android.tether folder
    7. Click the apk file to install the WiFi app
    8. Once it is completed installing, reboot the phone.
    9. Once the phone turns back on, go to the app drawer and run the WiFi program, you dont need to change any settings, just click on the screen where it says 'touch to start'
    10. You will need to allow 'SU' (super user) privelidges and then it will start up
    11. On your laptop go to your wireless network list, you will see a new PC to PC connection called 'Androidtether', click connect and away you go

A few things first, it is VERY important to keep the bin and apk files IN the android.tether folder, why the apk file? I have no idea, but those are the steps I followed.

Also, you must be rooted for this to work.

Happy tethering!

• Like Like x 1
  2. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    will this work with all of the android phones?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    For this step by step, I would say its for Sense based phones.
    But the first link in my post will take you to the site where you can download the .apk file for the other phones, then follow the instructions there.
    (of course, you must be rooted for this to work)

5. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    hmmm.... rooted.... don't know how to do that or what's it's for. I've read that people are doing it, though I don't know why and that once you do it, you can't go back.

Is it worth it, just to use your phone as a wifi hotspot, or does it have other benefits that I haven't quite grasped. Could you PM that information to me, b/c I'm sure this isn't the right place to discuss that. Thanks!!!

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Rooting is perfectly legal, no need to hide :)
    Rooting has one draw back, that is you void your warrenty, but you can always revert.
    Here is a down and dirty definition to rooting by one of our memebers (Weapondrift) http://forums.everythingandroid.org/threads/root-by-definition.982/

You can do WiFi tether, remove stock apps, take screenshots, full backup of your entire system, load new roms, or any app that requires superuser permission, just to name a few.

Which phone do you have?

7. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I have a Hero running 2.1 update 1

Isn't the warranty void after a year anyway? So, I guess I really don't need that anyways in a few months. :)

8. DoctorBob

DoctorBob New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Dear Scott,
    I know your post is several months old but I found it with google when I could not get wifi tether to work on my Droid Incredible after rooting with unrevoked3. Thanks to your advise downloaded the two files and transferred to SD card and working great.
    Thanks for the help,
    Bob

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Awesome, glad we could help you out!
    Welcome to eA!!

10. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
  11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Its what Lulu tells me :p

12. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    You know you are Weap. Lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

13. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    theres no proof of that!! lol

14. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I've seen the pic's

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Everything Android App

15. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    liar liar pants on fire

16. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    How about a fresh opinion on this. I am open to any opinion that is provided by the highest bidder.

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android App

17. SCREWd2V

SCREWd2V New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    This works!!!!

finally got around to rooting my HTC incredible phone. It took a little research, but man the benifits are WELL worth it@! I currently have 2.2 and I had trouble getting the WIFI teather to work, so i did some more research and found n99hockey's post and gave it a shot. BOOM, right now i'm on my personal laptop at work posting on Everythingandroid through WIFI teathering. Big kudos to n99hockey.

thanks

18. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Awesome, glad we can help you out here, and welcome to eA!!

19. SCREWd2V

SCREWd2V New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    i know this is alittle off topic, but are there any "must have" root apps? also do you use any of the custom Roms and if so which ones?

20. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Must haves?
    Only must haves for me are WiFi tether and some sort of screen shot app.

I do use a custom ROM, check my signature for the info on it.

21. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Only reason I finally rooted was for a custom ROM that let the led light blink while screen is on! (Needed if phone is in a dock, or using an app with full screen.) Both Cyanogen and MIUI allow this. I use Cyanogen.

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App