1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

HTC Hero

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Aug 15, 2009.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Discuss everything having to do with the HTC Hero!

2. bls8195

bls8195 New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I picked up my Hero this morning at BB in MD and love it, so much to play with.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    How about giving us a report on how you find it. Items to check include: call quality, EV-DO data reception, Wi-Fi, internet browsing experience, use of widgets, etc.

Congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts. :dft012:wink

5. bls8195

bls8195 New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Should be coming tomorro evening.

6. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions. :dft010:big_smile

7. bls8195

bls8195 New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Ok so here is my brief review of what I have found with the new HTC Hero from Sprint.

Call quality I find very nice, on low volume setting if you turn it up very nice and clear, works great, network is good. Overall I give it an A.

Data at first was great, but now I am not sure if the network is getting overloaded or what, but the browser times out, or will say techincal difficulty, or temp down. So once this gets fixed, I believe the speed of data reception will be great, and fairly quick. I have yet to be in a wifi-spot yet, so I have not tried that feature.

Internet browsing is very simple and easy to do, I think the basic user will be able to use this with no problems, great full HTML, which is nice.

Widgets are great and love how HTC allows you to customize 7 screens and easily flick through all of them rather quickly. Everything can be at your fingertips.

Best part is how everything is built around the user, unlike other phones. Not sure about the My touch from T-Mobile, but love this phone over my old I phone 3GS, to me its a better feel, and the Andriod Market speaks for itself. Only about 9,000 aps but hey most are free.

I will have more to follow once I get to play with the phone a little bit more.

8. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Thanks, bls8195! Great review. Browser time outs are something we see on AT&T with the 3Gs. Which widgets are you using; how often do you check them; and what is the overall impact on battery life? How does the device perform when it drops from EVDO to 1X-RTT? Any issues with talking and WiFi at the same time?

Great impressions. Keep in touch!

9. dmm5157

dmm5157 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    I got my HTC Hero yesterday and am loving it. I already went nuts getting apps, and so far my favorite ones are Taskiller and Power Manager. Tried the free versions, loved 'em and ended up buying the full versions.

I love how the marketplace has a 24 hour trial period for all software, where you can just get a refund and uninstall things if you don't like 'em.

Worst app I've seen so far is Facebook for Android. Just plain sorry compared to the one for Windows Mobile and Blackberry. Nice thing is the full Facebook page works with the regular browser, which is nice.

So far, my only concern is battery life. I've tried to take precautions to help extend the battery life (like keeping Bluetooth, Wifi and GPS turned off, and killing apps that I don't need running). I'm already down to 45% battery for the day in just 7 hours, so I may need to go change my e-mail Push settings.

10. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Regarding apps that are widgetized, are they updated in the background? For example, a Twitter Widget. Rather than having to refresh the app everytime you access as is the case with the iPhone, if you swipe to the screen with the Twitter app, will it already be updated?

11. dmm5157

dmm5157 New Member

Nov 6, 2007

I don't use the twitter one, but I beleive they do run and update in the background. NFL Mobile has a widget and will show live scoring for your favorite team on the screen at all times. After the game is over, it'll show the score from the last game. Pretty sweet, but really only useful in certain situations. Still, it's handy as an app launch icon, as NFL Mobile opens when you click on it.