1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

HTC One Developer Edition, here I come

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Apr 22, 2013.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Exactly. I paid $650. Fair price, but that's a lot of change for a phone that isn't a primary device. It sounds as if nothing new is coming from Google I/O, at least from a hardware perspective. If that's the case, I'll crack the plastic on my Nexus 4. I also had someone contact me regarding a trade of my iPhone 4 for their new Samsung Galaxy S3. That trade wouldn't suck.

For the longest time, I've always asked people at iCafe if they preferred a dedicated MP3 player to their iPhone. A good number of them use one device, the iPhone for their music player. I think because of how I use phones (always testing apps, restoring, changing phones), it's always in a state of disruption. I was using a Zune HD, but it started to show its age. I have an iPod touch that I haven't filled with apps. At the same time, I've been cleaning up my iTunes in an effort to really optimize my library. Instead of syncing everything, I'm starting to rate songs, set up playlists. Carrying everything no longer makes sense to me. There's plenty of music among the best stuff, that it makes sense to cut the fat. I'm not deleting them from iTunes, but creating a highly curated list of songs. This will also serve me well for other devices, as I'll be able to find the best songs and move them to any device. I also don't have to get caught up in throwing storage at a problem, an overflowing, mismanaged iTunes library.

For me, the iPod touch doesn't get messed with and my music is always there and gets refined daily. I've been a ratings machine.

I'll say this... if nothing new gets announced at I/O, I'll be thrilled to go back to the N4. I really, really enjoyed that phone and still have a few cases for it as well.

2. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    I only really enjoy listening to music either when I am driving or when I am working out. In the car, I just insert a USB flash drive filled with about 50 or 60 of my favorite songs or my 2nd generation iPod Nano when I am driving my Dad's car as it connects to the iDrive and I can easily type the name of my favorite song and listen to it. When I am at the gym, I use my Galaxy S3 to listen to music because I always carry my phone around with me when I am working out so why not take advantage of that rather than carry two devices. I tried different Music Players for my Galaxy, but I always end up going back to the stock one. I applied a S4 mod recently and I absolutely LOVED the S4's music player, hopefully it'll come with the official release of 4.2 for the S3 because the leaked one doesn't have it.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    >.<
    I should have posted when I remembered... I done forgot

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    So what are the other options? We are here now....

6. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Back on the Nexus 4. Cue the music.. Reunited and it feels so good.:whistle:

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Yes, but for how long this time? :unsure:

8. diverdown

diverdown New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    I just picked up the Samsung S4 to test drive. Although I love my Nexus 4, I really wanted a few more camera options......
    ~S

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

9. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Have you ever tried CM? Would definitely recommend the latest RC or even nightly + IR's kernel. The feel is very close to stock with just the right tweaks and that kernel gets me a best battery rate of 2%/hour.

Sent from my Nexus 4

10. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    I installed CM 10.1 and it was pretty good, but to be honest I am not much of an AOSP fan because you miss on a lot of features like Motion (which I like very much), S Voice and some other things.

11. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Agree, it's a hard choice to abandon Samsung and HTC frameworks but it's a natural fit on the Nexus units.

Sent from my Nexus 4

12. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    I am running the 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 leak by SamMobile and I am not impressed by the battery life whatsoever, especially how much it drains while the device is sleeping. Would you be able to link me to that specific kernel (IR's) that you're talking about? I searched on XDA but I couldn't find any kernel with those initials. I am all about battery life as I am outside the house most of the time and even when I am not I am too lazy to charge the device. lol

13. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    • Like Like x 1
  14. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Sorry, I think IR (IntersectRaven) is only on the N4 and some HTC's. You're on S3 right?

Sent from my Nexus 4

15. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    Yeah! That sucks.

16. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    @chris you should get the Google Branded S4...just sayin

18. diverdown

diverdown New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Wow am I a chronic flipper or what...... Just returned the SGS4 and picked up the HTC One. As much as I liked the S4, I really want to try out the Zoe feature on the HTC One. So let the 30 day test drive begin.

~S

19. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    To be honest if I had the money I'd go for the HTC One as I am not impressed by Samsung's build-quality and more importantly there seem to be a lot of hardware-related issues with the S3 and the Note I/II. At least four people I know have had to either replace (if they were under warranty) or completely ditch their S3s and Notes because the motherboard just suddenly died. When I broke my S3's screen and went to the Samsung Service Center over here, I talked to so many people that were facing hardware related issues which the service center couldn't really do much about; some people told me they have to reboot the device at least five times a day in order for it to function properly, and that's AFTER Samsung updated and cleaned the software on their devices.

I had the HTC One X for a short while but in that time I never faced any serious problems or freeze issues, even with all the custom ROMs I tried. The only issue I had with it was the terrible battery life considering the size of the screen, but from the reviews I have read, the HTC One is much better in that aspect.

20. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. Nexus 4 is doing right by me for now.

21. Krunk83

Krunk83 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    The HTC One Google version is coming out soon. You should get that...