1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

HTC One M7 Purple Tint Camera Issue

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Oct 16, 2014.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

I recently purchased a used HTC One M7. It was out of warranty, so my expectation was that any repairs caused by me would not be covered. I went to take a photo last night and noticed a purple tint. In low light, there was a purple cast in the preview and the final image. The resulting images aren't usable. I figured that perhaps this was a software issue, one that could be addressed by some fix pushed by HTC. In researching the issue, I found that HTC Italy had indicated that a firmware update would resolve the problem. This was back in 2013. Subsequent firmware releases have not fixed the issue and in some cases, they made it worse.

As I started digging into my research, I found more folks finding it was a hardware issue with the camera itself. If you were under warranty, HTC would repair or replace the phone without a problem. A number of people had the very same issue after the replacement.

Some people at XDA have gone to great lengths to fix the problem. They've opened the phone and placed copper tape between the camera and the phone internals. The issue is reportedly due to overheating. I put my HTC One in the refrigerator for about 5-10 minutes. I didn't want to keep it for too long as to not create a different problem. I used the focus and flash in the refrigerator. All the images looked great, no purple tint. This morning, without any cooling, the phone exhibits the same purple tinge.

I contacted HTC this morning over chat. I figured this is a known issue, one that is the definition of a manufacturers defect. Being out of warranty, I expected to shoulder some cost, but I thought the company might acknowledge a bit of the blame. As such, a fair and equitable repair cost for me was $50 or so. They told me it would cost $90 to $150 to repair.

I bought a used phone. One that was out of warranty. There's plenty to like about the phone itself, but it takes awful photos in low light. I'm hoping it'll take passable photos in bright sunlight. If this were my only phone, I'd be out of luck and would likely go shopping for new phone, one not made by HTC. I'm not up to cracking it open and the refrigerator isn't a great idea on a consistent basis. Good news, winter is coming.

2. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Here are two photos taken this morning. One was taken outside on a rainy day, but good lighting. The other was in my office, where it's relatively dark given the weather. It's bizarre how this camera can do such a wonderful job in good lighting and an awful job in poor lighting.

IMG_20141016_111536.jpg IMG_20141016_112126.jpg

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    And for those wondering, my cat is not purple.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I've heard lot of people with this issue. A member, ParaCAD, had this very issue, he dumped it and got an N5.

6. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    If this was my primary device, it would be returned and I'd move on. I bought the HTC One because I always liked the design of the hardware and because I could it transform it to a GPE edition (which I did, more on that later).

Most of the photos I take are of my daughter and they are outdoors. If I'm in a situation where I know I'm going to be shooting, I'll be popping the SIM card on this phone in no time flat.

I feel for those who own this phone as their primary and have found themselves out of warranty. No one wants to spend $100 plus to fix a phone. Not to mention, you have to be without it for a bit of time. I bet HTC lost a few customers with this, which is unfortunate. I hate to say, as it sounds like trolling my own forum, but Apple would never let this happen. Can you imagine if the iPhone 5 cameras started to fail. That one-year warranty nonsense wouldn't fly. If they didn't fix it, there would be mass hysteria. Maybe there has been with the HTC One, but this is the first I've heard of it. This isn't a handful of phones that are affected.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Agreed, since its your secondary it is what it is. My N5 camera isn't stellar, but it gets the job done, I usually carry my DSLR with me when going places with the kids that are of any significance anyways.

However with that said, the new Nexus 6 has peaked my interest. :)

8. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    it's my tertiary.:LOL: iPhone, Moto X, HTC One.

Nexus 6 is too big.

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Well exuuuuuse me :)

So you don't have the iPhone+ then?
    So uh, yea, if you uh, you know....get a review unit, you should um er...send it my way...or something. :D

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    That is a shame Chris. Looks like problem has been around for a very long time. This thread indicates many have gotten replacements/repairs for free or at low cost even out of warranty by not taking no for an answer. Not sure if they had all bought new, but the warranty expired or if they bought second hand with the issue present.

Interesting reaction by HTC considering that was their flagship device.....

11. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    The eBay seller has been awesome. They are offering either a partial refund or they'll fix it if I send it back. I noticed it has another issue. The power button is recessed and apparently, that's a thing too. And here I was picking up an HTC One because I was so impressed with the build quality. I found an app in the Google Play Store that solves this problem. ScreenWakeUp will wake the device on any movement and unlock it. I don't have a passcode, so I'm not sure how it works if it's locked. That's the closest I'll get to the awesome notifications on the Moto X. Still nothing better.

12. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I had the iPhone 6 Plus and reviewed it too. It was too big for me. 4.7-inch displays are where it's at.(y)

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I was eluding to the Nexus 6 :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Everything Android mobile app

14. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Unless my hands grew from the time I returned the iPhone 6 Plus, the Nexus 6 is too big for me, as a phone.

15. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    eBay seller refunded $60 off purchase. This was a NY purchase, so tax was added for a total of $223. This brings the cost down to $163. Sure it's got a camera that works only in daylight and the power button is recessed, but that's a damn good deal. Decided to live with my Ghost Glass install. In ever day use, I don't notice it, which is what you want from a good glass protector.

Running KitKat 4.4 GPE edition, Nova settings with Android L features and the Moonshine icon pack. I'd say that's pretty awesome.

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Glad you are happy. Thinking about it, for the amount I use the camera on my phone i could probably live with it....

With the recessed power button at least you don't turn off the phone by accident! You could look at this app and maybe you will never need the power button again....

17. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    That's not a bad app. It works for the most part. You just have to remember to disable when driving, because it just keeps the phone on at all times.