1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

HTC One X Problem - Very Low Speaker

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Joseph Queen, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Joseph Queen

Joseph Queen New Member

Jun 17, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Anyone else experience this issue? I just purchased the HTC one x 3 days ago and could have sword it had a louder ringer than it does currently. All my settings are maxed and and can't hear the text or ringer 3 feet away from me.

Would you consider yours loud or abnormally low. Trying to figure out if I'm going crazy.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I have been reading reports that there mmay be an issue with some units. You might want to go into one of your provider's stores to test the units there and see if they are louder. In most cases a replacement resolves the issue. That is assuming you are under warranty.

I have also seen mentions that HTC is working on some kind of software tweak, but if the problem is limited toi a small number of a certain production run they shouldn't have to issue a software update. Maybe there is a problem with production in a particular plant.

Let us know what happens.....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Smithme08

Smithme08 New Member

Aug 3, 2012
    We've had TWO HTC One X units in my family exhibit the same problem. For a while after we bought them the ringer and notification sounds were "normal," but then suddenly the volume was much less at all settings. To be clear, we are perfectly aware of how to change the volumes for the ringing, notifications, etc, however even at "max" volume now the sounds are 1/2 as loud as the ~60% setting we were using previously.

Has anyone tried a factory reset to see if this fixes the issue? I'm 95% sure this is a software/firmware bug because call volume and other sound related activities have not been affected, only the ringer and notification sounds.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What OS version are you running in both units and are they branded to a certain carrier? A few posts seemed to indicate the sound issue became a problem after an update to 1.85, but I am not sure if that is the latest version available.

I also saw a couple of posts indicate the factory reset did help the problem so you might want to give that a try. Just make sure you back up everything before you reset as all data and third party apps will be deleted.

If you reset let us know if that solves the issue.

6. Smithme08

Smithme08 New Member

Aug 3, 2012
    We're using the US AT&T version and I can't tell you which version I WAS using because AT&T just graciously enough offered an OTA update for my phone this afternoon which resolved my ringer/notification volume issues.

That said, my issue started just a few days ago, and I had NOT performed an update any time recently so I don't really think the problem started for ME immediately after an update, though it might have been the same problematic version but it takes some set of circumstances to cause the problem to actually begin which I didn't trigger until recently.

I updated the other phone in our family now too and it has also been cured of the issue.

Right now both phones are 4.0.4 and 2.20.502.7 710RD for the various version information.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    AT&T devices were mentioned as developing the problem after an update to 1.85 some time ago and it looks like you updated and resolved it.

Glad you had luck in resolving both......

8. mikearnill

mikearnill New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Well HTC is known for it's sound quality, I will recommend you to configure it's sound setting and I am definitely sure it will all went well.

9. loustewart

loustewart Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Factory reset your device.

10. sc300ftw

sc300ftw New Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Speakers are magnetic, Mine had tons of metal clogging all of the micro machined holes for both speakers. I took my phone apart to find that out. If you are brave enough to take it apart you can cut the mesh from the back speaker (which you have to remove) and then use a toothbrush to clear all of the debris from the speaker holes. My phone was right back to as loud as the day i got it.

11. sc300ftw

sc300ftw New Member

Oct 11, 2012
    the status led will be brighter and the speakers will be easily twice as loud. Do be careful taking the phone apart if that is the route you decide to take. This will probably also void your warranty so you might just want to take it to the store for them to clean it out and re sell it =D enjoy

12. nothingtofear

nothingtofear Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Perform a hard factory reset..That might probably help u..