1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

HTC Wildfire S Misbehaving

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Jenny Lowe, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Jenny Lowe

Jenny Lowe New Member

Apr 2, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hiya,
    I posted to androidforums.com but have had no response, but these problems are really bugging me and I would like to know as soon as possible if it can be solved as I may still be able to return it for a replacement. Original post is here www.androidforums.com/htc-wildfire-s/523993-htc-completely-acting-up.html

On Friday it had a bit of a moment to say the least. The top button was completely unresponsive, and later on it automatically rebooted a few times. Since then one thing that is off that I have noticed is that where the screen switches itself on after you move the phone down from you ear - it has stopped doing this and I have to press the top button to switch the screen on (if it listens to me) in order to end the call. Hope that description makes sense, I can't think of how else to describe it.This problem still remains.

After rebooting it later, it went awry yet again. I used Pansi SMS for my texts, or at least I did until it uninstalled itself upon this restart. I also used MixZing which seemed also strangely absent upon this restart, not to mention the app menu seemed shorter than I remember it. I suspect that this restart may have launched a roll-back to a restore point of sorts, which I didn't even know it could do! A lot of the things under the "downloaded apps" section of manage apps were now showing up as, for example "com.rovio.angrybirds," "com.mixzing.basic," "bbc.mobile.news.uk" etc instead of the actual app names. The restore point theory falls apart a bit though, considering that BBC News was one of the first apps I installed, but now seems to have gone, but a flashlight app that I installed in the last 48 hours still seems to be around.

Now Mixzing and BBC News and such seem to be back. Pansi seemed a bit of a lame duck that needed to be put out of its misery, so I uninstalled that. Everything else that I remember seems to be on the phone, but one thing that seems to have changed is that when you scroll the volume down, it does 3-2-1-Silent-Vibrate, where vibrate wasn't an option through this way before.

Some things seem to me like an update has been installed, but some things seem like a roll back.

Should I return it? Is there some kind of fix that doesn't involve restoring to factory settings? Thank you in advance.

Android Version 2.3.5
    Avast Antivirus
    Purchased End of January 2012

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi Jenny and welcome to eA:

The best suggestion I can make would be to go back to a factory state and start adding back apps one at a time to see if they cause an issue and if not add the next and the next and so on.

Sounds like you might have a bunch of apps and it is possible one or more may be written sloppily and hogging memory or not playing nice with other apps.

Do you recall if the issues started just after installing a new app, theme or wallpaper? If so then removing that, rebooting and seeing if the problems are gone would be the way to go.

You may be running out of memory, but that may occur as an app is running in the background so you may only see a reboot, which then clears the memory restoring operation.

Be careful to only install apps you really need or want and then you should do so slowly, one at a time and give it a few days to make sure nothing is in conflict before adding the next. This is hard because there are so many apps to choose from. Even if you get a new phone and rush to install you may wind up with the same problem again.

Just a few thoughts. Let us know what you do and how you make out....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Jenny Lowe

Jenny Lowe New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    I was hoping to not have to resort to factory settings, but it seems like its the only way. I know they seem like minor points, but if little things are causing havoc in the foreground, you never know what's happening in the background.
    I'll keep this thread posted.
    Thanks a lot.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Again, if you remember what order you have added apps you could try deleting those most recently installed and working backwards. You may have success.....

6. Jenny Lowe

Jenny Lowe New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    OK, I'm ready to go back to factory settings, how can I back up my browser bookmarks and contacts without putting it all in the cloud or installing some dodgy looking software on PC?

Many thanks.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    For Contacts you can back them up to the SD card if you aren't using a mail client like Outlook...... Select People > Press the Menu button > Import/Export > Export to SD card > Select the account there > OK to confirm.

There are apps available to backup bookmarks, but I have not personally used them. Take a look at this one as an example.

Another option is an app to backup everything. MyBackup is one that you can try free for 30 days. It will work to restore as long as you are restoring to the same device. If not you will have to purchase the full version.

#6 stevetaz, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  8. Jenny Lowe

Jenny Lowe New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Fully restored to factory settings and the top button is more cantankerous than ever! Will keep like this for a few days, but if it doesn't change them I'm sending it back. Was pondering getting a Desire S anyway after this one, may happen sooner rather than later!

Any more ideas? The only Apps I have installed after reset are Avast and Skymap.

Thanks again.

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Did you try the device after restoring to factory settings BEFORE adding any apps?

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    And if the device works as expected before you add any apps you should then only add one app at a time. Try it for some time (maybe a day) to make sure nothing is adversly affected and then add another. Try it for a day or so to make sure it is okay and then add another and so on......

11. Jenny Lowe

Jenny Lowe New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks Steve.
    Was told on the other thread that the SD card could be causing the problem, so tried a different one. This worked and was going fine until I started copying my data over and installing apps; so I took the SD card out and tried it. It now runs like a dream, but I have no SD Card. I therefore suspect that some file on the SD card had gone awry, possibly a music file or a downloaded image. I don't have any more spare SD cards, so I'll have to start formatting and such.
    I have nothing to lose on this phone as everything was backed up beforehand, so I'll reformat a backed up card, pop it in, not transfer any data over other than contacts and text backups, then try your pacing myself app testing method, just to rule apps out. Sound like a plan?
    Thanks again :)

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Glad you may have the solution and it sounds like a good plan.

Let us know how it goes.....