1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

I Really Messed Up!!! No Boot Or Recovery IMG

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Watcher, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Watcher

Bronze

Aug 24, 2012

Sponsored Ad

I really messed up this time, guys. I saw the new Jelly Bean 4.1.2 that I did NOT want to install so I figured I would find something to disable that notification. I found this zip file called Disable.OTA.Updates.zip and as soon as I installed that from Recovery Mode, my GSM i9250 Galaxy Nexus will ONLY reboot into Recovery Mode as it says FASTBOOT MODE - NO BOOT OR RECOVERY IMG. Now I can't even use my phone!!! :(

To make it even worse, I used "Restart bootloader" so I think that erased quite a bit of stuff on there, namely my Jelly Bean 4.1.1 boot or whatever it is that reboots it into normal phone mode.

All the stuff on my sdcard (internal because you all know there is no SD card slot on this version) is still there but I just can't access it from my computer as it won't mount. Even when I select "Mount" from Recovery Mode, it doesn't show up on my computer! I backed up a file using Nexus Root Toolkit but you need PDANet running on the phone as well as the computer to access that backup file I created on an external HDD. How can I install ROMs or even flash back to stock when I can't even access the phone from the computer?

So what the hell do I do now? I have no clue how to proceed and am afraid I may have a BRICK on my hands! It won't even power off regularly unless I pull the battery, which I have many times now.

<ENTER PANIC MODE>

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Restart Bootloader will not erase anything. It just restarts your phone in to bootloader. Sounds like you flashed a bad file that erased stuff that it wasnt supposed to erase.

What you have to do now is get ADB running on your computer and get ADB to recognize your phone and then you can push files to your phone OR if you made a nandroid (backup of the device) you can reflash that from recovery. Were you using a custom recovery or stock recovery?

You get ADB installed by downloading and installing the Android SDK on you PC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Watcher

Bronze

Aug 24, 2012
    Thanks, Scott (n99hockey)

I had to leave it at home and come into work... frustrated. I already have the Android SDK on my PC and the computer still doesn't recognize any ADB devices on there since the phone cannot be recognized. Before I left I checked all of that and also downloaded ODIN. I was able to get ODIN to recognize it by going into Download Mode but that seems to just recognize the phone as a "modem", not as a "storage device". If only I could get it to see the internal sdcard, I could find a Jelly Bean 4.1.1 zip and just flash that (if that's even possible). Maybe using ODIN and recovering is better?

I think I'll just wait until I get off work to respond after I try everything suggested and see where I'm at then. However, in the meantime, if anyone has an idea, feel free to post it!

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Do you have the Nexus drivers installed on the computer too? If not then ADB probably wont find it.

I have never used ODIN.

I did this on my old Xoom, I was preping it to give to my dad and I wiped the system partition. I was able to push a custom recovery on it then push a ROM on it and flash everything. You are not screwed, you just got to get the based files on there and you will be gravy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Watcher

Bronze

Aug 24, 2012
    Thank you so much for your assistance, Scott.

I just wanted to leave a response on what I did to resolve my problem just in case anyone comes across the same thing…

I had to restore the phone to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 stock by downloading a .tar file and also a .pit file in the ODIN program. ODIN is useful in case, like me, your phone cannot connect to your computer normally and it won't even recognize it as an ADB device. This is an older program that gets to the core of the phone and restores and/or flashes it. Because of that, it's invaluable. I updated to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with an OTA update. I then used Nexus Root Toolkit v.1.5.3 to re-Root it and then make a Back Up with a Custom Recovery or a “Nandroid” (using ODIN seemed to keep the Unlock intact). I had to select that I had firmware “Android 4.1.1 JRO03C” or it would not create a Nandroid back up. I then applied the Nexus LouderBoom.zip to get back my Awesome BEATS equalizer and volume booster that gives me the fantastic louder, higher quality sound (If you have a Galaxy Nexus, you NEED this!!! Trust Me!!!!)

I'm now back to AWESOME!

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    That's awesome, thank you for posting back. Now that you have that nandroid you are all set just in case something happens again.

Best practice is to nandroid before flashing files.

Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Everything Android

8. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Awesome watcher, you just worked out how to flash a rom from boot loader vs recovery. Not all devices can do this. An unlocked bootloader option is a requisite for me but a device.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

9. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    i think the only way to brick a phone is by flashing a radio, kernel or ROM that wasn't built for that phone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2