1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

I think I'm screwed, but....

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Situation:

Wife's old business phone was an HTC phone (I forget the model...it was a slider)
    Was stuck at Android 2.x
    She upgraded to an S4.
    Apparently in the process, she forgot to get off a data file containing mileage records to her clients
    It's now tax time and the realization of not having that information has hit....

Phone is deactivated and has no number
    In the meantime, the router at the house was switched out and so a different SSID is in place that this phone has never seen.
    In addition, she can't remember what her lock-screen swipe pattern was, because she changed it on her new phone.

So she tried it (the lock-screen swipe) multiple times and got locked out. Can't use the gmail account path, because the phone has no internet because it has never seen the SSID currently in place. Even if I changed the SSID back to what it was, I've revamped all the passwords since then and I'm not sure what the old one was. There's no way to configure a internet pathway on the phone because the only screen that will come up is the log in with your google account screen.

Tried just plugging the phone into the computer and the ADB debugging or whatever that is called doesn't appear to be on, because I have no access past about 2 files, no subdirs, etc.

Tried powering off, hoping the phone would forget the 5 swipe attempts and it didn't. (I wouldn't think that it should, but was hoping <G>)

If I reset to factory defaults, the data would be lost because everything would get wiped

So...any thoughts? Anything I've missed?

(And for the aficionado's of rooting that are out there, who would reply with you should have rooted, you can just bypass replying. I have no interest in that route for my phones.)

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Did she do any backup files that might contain the data either on a PC or in the cloud?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    No. that would require forward thinking, which has not been evident.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Well, then I also think you are screwed....

Sorry!

Hopefully this will be one of those life-lessons for your "better half"?

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Hope so. We had a "discussion" about it and taking care of the things that aren't fun and require dreary time and effort to allow you to stay in business to do those things that really capture your interest and devotion. Can't ignore the business part jt because you don't like it.

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Bob, on many Android phones after 2.1, most apps stored to the removable SD card. It is a long shot, but you could try using a card reader to see if any files are there....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

8. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Hmmmm..interesting thought Sherri. Will have to see if there's an SD card reader around somewhere....thanks for posting!

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Interesting and worth a look, but to my knowledge some, not all apps have the ability to store data to the external SD Card, but that is not by default. A user has to choose to do that. I believe that is still the case today.

Certainly worth a look see though....

10. knuckles1978

knuckles1978 New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I doubt the file is saved to the external rather than phones internal SD, but its worth a look for all the time it takes..

Rooting the phone should give you adb full access, or at least you can set the phone to mount as a USB mass storage device from CWM which leaves the whole file system open to explore on a PC.

Or you could install a custom ROM and remove the pattern lock in the process..

All is not lost :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

11. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Evidently, you don't know Bob like we do, and didn't read all he stated. Bob has never rooted a phone, and in the OP, stated that who ever suggests rooting shouldn't even reply.

Also, phone is locked and they can't get into it at all....

Just sayin'....

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

12. knuckles1978

knuckles1978 New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Ok ok!! No need to start swinging handbags, I was only trying to help, must be that time of the month. Your avatar suits you well lol ;-)

'You don't know bob like we do' hehehe

Anyway the phone having a pattern lock on it makes absolutely no difference to whether it could be rooted or not. And if he doesn't know about rooting, he could get someone else to do it...

Edit: oh, I see he doesn't want to root it. But if it's important to get this information back, you could root then retrieve the files needed and then unroot it again.

If getting this data back is crucial then he may have no other option.

#11 knuckles1978, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    knuckles, no need to take swipes at other members. Sherri is correct in what she posted and if she hadn't, I was going to. Apparently you finally read all of Bob's post and realize he doesn't want to root.

It is clear you enjoy the rooting process and yes, there are benefits, but it is not for everyone.

Thanks for being sensitive to the fact what works for you may not be another's cup of tea.....

• Like Like x 1
  14. knuckles1978

knuckles1978 New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm sorry, but I just didn't like the attitude I was getting when I was only trying to help. No need for it.

If the only way that Bob can get his information back is by rooting, and if this information is very important to him, then he has no option but to do it and then unroot the phone once he has retrieved what he needs. Or lose the information.

If it were something that was crucially important to me, I know what I'd be doing. It's not like I'm trying to convince him he should root his phone for fun or so you can use some nice apps that otherwise you couldn't.

#13 knuckles1978, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    So...some interesting replies out here. I've been busy being sick...
    Thanks to all that posted from all sides of the discussion.
    Knuckles...swinging handbags or time of month? Dude..._not_ kewl....

Your statement of lock screen makes no difference. How so? If the phone doesn't have a number, doesn't have an internet connection, can't be hooked to a PC, and you can't get past the lock screen, please explain how rooting could even be accomplished?
    And if it were, wouldn't that destroy all the data on the thing in the first place?

16. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    The only thing you could do is to perform a hard reset and then you could recover the same from some third party software from PC like Recuva.