1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Ice Cream Sandwich

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Beemer, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Beemer

Beemer New Member

Sep 26, 2011

Sponsored Ad

So I just watched the presentation of the Galaxy Nexus and ICS but they didn't say when ICS would be available. They only announced when the SDK would be availabel. Does anyone know for ICS?

2. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    ICS looks like its going to be available with the Prime (i dont care its always going to be the prime to me) That gets released in November.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Beemer

Beemer New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Yes, but Google's biggest problem with OS's is there seems to be no consistency in versions. Many people can't even get gingerbread yet and I hear there is a version 2.3.5 floating around out there that Kies doesn't want to distribute to me. Android needs to address the issue of standardizing everyone at once instead of fragmenting OS versions based on what region of the world you live in. Advising on when Android 4 would be released for general consumption would have gone a long ways to addressing that issue.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    That is something the Google is addressing, they are trying to get the carriers to commit to an 18month upgrade plan.

There is actually a 2.3.7 out, but anything above 2.3.3 was really just for the Nexus devices as they addressed issue that they had.

With 4.0 they are trying to get everyone on the same page, of course, there is no mention of when ICS will be available via source code or WHAT existing devices will be getting it. They are launching it with the Galaxy Nexus and after that is out in the wild I think we will start getting confirmation of what existing devices will get updated.

Sit tight, but also keep in mind it is not up to Google in most cases what devices get what updates, its usually up to the carriers.

6. AndreaCristiano

AndreaCristiano New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    I'm gonna say At&t Sgs 2 gets it real fast as Verizon Will have at least 6 months of galaxy nexus the Sgs 2 with ICS Will be a smart move till the galaxy nexus arrives on at&t

7. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Root and the devs will get you there as soon as source is released.

With honeycomb maybe the playbook had something to do with delaying source code.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yup the CM Team will be all over that once the code drops.

As for Honeycomb, source was never released because it was kind of an incomplete 'catch up' OS to the iPad so they could produce tablets and get in to the market. ICS will allow for custom ROMs on tablets as well.

Should be an interesting few months coming up!