ICS rom review

Discussion in 'Android Rooting and Custom ROMs' started by Weapondrift, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Weapondrift

Gold

So today I flashed the rom version of ICS. For those of you that do not know there is a beta build of ICS out for a few phones. If you wanna get your just desserts (moan for poor joke) Available here: http://rootzwiki.com/_/articles/ics-roms-and-ports-directory-r221

Flashing went relativity painless with no bootloops. There wasnt as much lag as I anticipated which is nice. However there are a few things that did NOT work for me or were not available.
    1) no marketplace
    I tried two different ways: .apk and the flashed version. The .apk wont open and the flashed version wont let me login (crashes)

So far im impressed with how easily it flashed. There are a few "echos" of screen transitions but overall for just fiddling with the ics its nice.

• Like Like x 1
  2. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Are they able to suppress the screen buttons since we still have dedicated soft buttons?

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Weapondrift

Gold

From what I saw and played with yes (if im understanding you correctly) all the buttons were layed out in the exact way they were supposed to be: Menu button = Menu button etc.

5. Weapondrift

Gold

Second and final review of the ICS rom:

After playing with the rootzWiki version of ICS I decided to try flashing the XDA version. Similar review of the former ICS rom however one big negative for me was that going into settings made my phone unmount my sd card and corrupt my sd card. I thought this was an error so I plugged into my computer and sure enough sd card was completly corrupt. I had to reformat ultimatly losing everything. This happened a second time a few days later so I finally reflashed back to CyanogenMod. My advice: wait until they fix alot of the bugs before you flash ICS.

6. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Running LC ICS 4.0.3 ROM 1.1beta1 for the Desire HD.

I think the only major issue is the video camera is still a work in progress.

Otherwise loving it. Definitely a noticeable performance boost compared to my previous CM7 & custom kernel.

• Like Like x 1
  7. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Remember how gingerbread was such a perf bump over froyo because of the jit compiler. Would say that ICS is like that over gingerbread because of the hardware acceleration. Same phone feels like a new upgrade.

Also love the fine tuning applied to the apps; email, YouTube, video, Swype, camera, browsing speed. Only ding is lost my flash plug-in for the time being.