1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5 to Nexus 4

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by craiggiarc, Sep 9, 2013.

1. craiggiarc

craiggiarc New Member

Jul 14, 2007

Sponsored Ad

So I've always wanted to try an Android device after being on iOS since the iPhone 4 and with the reduced price of the Nexus 4 out of contract I jumped at the chance.

OK, so I wasn't quick enough to get the $199 version so I got the $249 version instead and so far here are my findings.

Pros:
    • Love the screen size. Considering that the device itself is only fractionally larger than the iPhone 5 the screen is noticeably bigger and I love that.
    • Customization. I tweak my device all the time and even though I haven't even delved into the world of ROMs and rooting yet I still love the customizations that you can apply to the device.
    • Keyboard. I've always been a fan of the Swype type keyboards and this is no exception. I can write so much faster with this.
    • Unlocking. OK, so I know it's not that secure but I love the face scan to unlock feature, so easy and really responsive too.
    • NFC. I haven't used it yet although I do have an NFC Ring coming from KickStarter in the near future and I've been reading posts about what you can do using it with an NFC Tag and that looks right up my street.
    • Google. I use Google for my personal email and my company uses it too so I'm all over Google and it's integration on this device is, understandably, seamless.
    Cons:
    • My Apps: I guess I'm just in too deep with some of the iPhone apps. Take Tweetbot as an example, I use that on my Mac, iPad and iPhone and they all sync, for my Nexus 4 though I'm yet yo find a suitable replacement yet alone one that syncs across multiple devices.
    • My Family and Friends: Not that they are all cons, but just the fact that almost without exception my social circle are all on iOS to so iMessage becomes redundant and as many of them are overseas being able to send free iMessages is a big advantage.
    • Gaming. My iPhone and iPad are my main gaming device now, with my Xbox and Wii gathering dust on the shelf and there are multiple games that I've invested hours in, losing all my progress on Clash of Clans could kill me! ;)
    What cool features of the Nexus 4 have I not discovered yet?

TL:DR - Switching from iOS to Android is not easy!

2. Chancellor

Chancellor New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I'm probably going to dump my i5 any day, not sure what else I'm going to grab. Either way my iPad mini is going everywhere I go, I have found out multiple times that an android phone/iPad combo has always satisfied me :).

GS4/iPhone5

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. craiggiarc

craiggiarc New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I don't blame you, Apple need to come up with something special to keep me on iOS.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
  6. craiggiarc

craiggiarc New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Have done a little research, (that's what searching Google is called now, right?), and apparently it's a scam.

I think ultimately anyone should use a cross platform instant messenger platform such as Facebook Messenger, Twitter DM's or Google Chat to avoid these problems.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Perhaps that explains why the app is not in the Play Store.....

8. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I rarely use Twitter and don't have a twitter app on my phone, but I have seen some reviews of Slices which the reviewers seem to love.