1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone died, switched to Android, but can't transfer or access contacts in iTunes

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Dazz7, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Dazz7

Dazz7 New Member

Jul 31, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hi people,

I had an iPhone 3GS and it was damaged by rain and could not be repaired... not dropped in loo, tropical down pour in Thailand out running.

I have iTunes 10.6.1.7 on a Windows 7 PC with an encrypted backup of my iPhone data.

I know the password to access my data.

I telephoned Apple and they have said the only way I can access my encrypted iPhone data in iTunes, my contacts being the most important information, is by plugging in another iPhone and loading the data onto it.

This is obscene and one of the many reasons I have switched to Android, specifically a Samsung Galaxy S3.

I found one App 'Easy Phone Sync', which is suppose to extract the information from iTunes to Android. Unfortunately it is only available for download in the UK (I thought the internet was border-less, silly me).
    http://easyphonesync.com/download/download.html

Googling this problem I see Apps and techniques to extract music from iTunes, but not specifically contacts information.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dazz

2. Sponsored Advertisement

3. Dazz7

Dazz7 New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Hi Scott, the problem is I don't have my iphone, just data backed up and encrypted in iTunes

Any other ideas guys?

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Are you synced with iCloud?
    I saw this

5. rldtan

rldtan New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Are you guys not concern about saving your personal info like contacts, password etc to the net ?
    It might be convenient but I think in terms of security, it is a no no.
    Personally, I would not want to "distribute" my personal info onto the net/cloud.

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    So how do you sync your contacts on your phone from your gmail account on your Android device?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Possible workaround. Buy an iPod, restore, migrate contacts, clean iPod, return iPod.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

8. rldtan

rldtan New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I always use a PC. For iphone, you can use itune on the PC. My android phone is from Samsung, so it has KIES.
    I will never sync anything personal to the net.

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Noble thought, but if you are using an Apple product that assures me there is more about you on the web than you might realize. Actually that applies to almost any product that has a connection to the net, uses a processor and has internal memory.

Exactly what are you afraid of if a properly encrypted file is stored in the sky?

10. rldtan

rldtan New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    It's true that we feel safer when the file is encrypted. However, how do you know that somewhere out there, there are no people with equipments and knowledge that can break the encryption and decipher your file ? If only you have access to your file, then you will not have to worry about it. It's a trade off between convenient and security.

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    That is true and if you never leave the house you are probably not going to be hit by a bus, but people do have to live. Perhaps you maintain files of epic proportions, but frankly I don't have files that could swing the balance of national security. To believe anyone will spend time looking for my files and then invest considerable effort to decrypt something that is secured using 256-bit AES encryption then more power to them. According to the US Government that level of encryption is safe enough to secure the nation's Top Secret files. Even AES 128-bit is considered to be good security.

Add a decent password to open the file and I do feel fairly secure. No, that doesn't include 123456 or "password" as my passwords.

Life is full of risks and one can choose to participate, but with eyes open. For example, as tech-minded as I am I do not have a debit card and I never will. I have never used an ATM and I will never. It is not due to the technology aspects of those systems. It is because of the human element. Bank employees can make errors and expose files and bank employees can be bought. Once money is removed from a bank account due to hacking or theft it can be difficult to restore. How many users still write their PIN on the back of their cards? Using a credit card for on-line transactions affords certain protections I wouldn't get using a debit card even if it is labeled with a Visa or MasterCard logo so I don't run that risk and I use what gives me the best protection.

I could say I will never use a credit card for on-line purchases, but that would pretty much eliminate any chance of getting some great deals. Using a credit card in a brick and mortar store doesn't give you much more protection as the data may be exposed in any number of situations or human errors.

Just my $.02 (cash only....)

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    And that is enough about this off-topic stuff. Back to our regular programming.....

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Interesting thoughts Steve. I've had a debit card dang near since the first one (George) debuted in DE. Multiple banks, etc. Mine's never been hacked, violated, been involved in a mistake, etc. At the same time,the Chase credit card sitting in my wallet was hacked three times, buying gas in Spain, skiing goods in CA, etc. After the third time I said goodbye and good riddance to that company and will never go back. Much prefer the combination of debit card and online banking to checks.

As to the original poster, do you use wifi at home on your device? Guess what... That information, including your password is stored in the cloud.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Glad you have had good luck with the debit card and I hope you never do have a problem. Please keep in mind that when a debit card is breached you do not have the same rights as you do with a credit card and the damage is more severe as money is gone at that moment and then you have to try and prove it wasn't you to get the funds restored. Banks have been abusing debit card customers for a long time and they seem to enjoy it.....Because they can!

15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    If companies abusing people were the sole determination of using them, there wouldln't be any phone companies, cable companies, airline companies, car dealerships, etc... in addition to banks, credit card companies, gas stations, oil companies, and so on and so forth.

Your point is well taken tho and certainly correct. You don't have the same protections and it would be harder to prove anything.

16. lorrainethorne

lorrainethorne New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    You can try [REMOVED BY MOD] to switch contacts from iPhone to Android again. It is an easier way of transferring contacts from Android to iPhone .Did this yesterday myself, and it pulled all my contacts, messages, calendars, music, photos, videos and notes out of iPhone perfectly on my Android.

#16 lorrainethorne, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  17. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Yes, as you have posted in a number of other forums over the last few days.

I am sure you are offering an unbiased opinion strictly based on your own experience....

Uh huh.....Yeah!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. coolicool

coolicool New Member

Dec 20, 2013
    You can use google sync or qqsim,many such applications can help you

19. slimsandroid

slimsandroid New Member

Feb 19, 2014
    i lost all my contacts too when my iphone broke and swapped to android. i didnt find a solution at the time but regained my contacts slowly with time via friends.

20. shalmu

shalmu New Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Dazz, I had two friends who switched to Android because of the same issue. They have lost a lot of energy in battles with Apple support. And one of them had a vital information on his phone, which was lost forever, not just a list of contacts. Just face it, think of it as is you have crashed your hard disk to pieces and get over it.