1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping to T-Mobile: What phone should I get?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by snowboardking, Dec 28, 2011.

1. snowboardking

snowboardking New Member

Jul 13, 2010

Sponsored Ad

Hey everyone,

So I made the decision to jump to T-Mobile and get an Android phone over an iPhone with AT&T which is my current carrier. I found a great offer online valid until 12/31/2011 but I have to activate service this week to take advantage of it and i still can't decide what phone I should get. Any advice from the Android gurus in this forum??

By the way, if anyone wants to check it out - the deal I found is for all new lines w/a 2 year contract, $50 service credit, waived activation and 10% off your monthly bill. You have to call T-Mo at 866 464 8662 and give them the promo code 13997 TMOFAV when you activate.You also have to mention that you are a member of Studentrate.

2. McGoo47

McGoo47 New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    None, T-mobile sucks..... LOL.... no but in all serious they do suck... Verizon or at&t are ur best bet...

McGoo47

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    In all fairness TMo may suck in your area McGoo47, but may be good in others. They are still among the cheapest and can be a good deal if their coverage is good for where you live, work and play.

As with any cell service y0u should never select the service based on price alone. Make sure you speak with users to find out if they experience dropouts or areas of no service before you commit to a two year plan. Research, research, research.

Interesting that you would state AT&T is one of the best bets since they have been rated as the worst service by Consumer's Reports for the last two or three years in a row. Perhaps they have good signals in your neighborhood, but that may be the exception. They are rated below TMobile.

Verizon? Absolutely the best network, but you will pay dearly for it. And pay, and pay and pay......If they could figure out a way to bill users each time they turn on their phones and connect to their precious network they would not hesitate.

In my area I have tried all of the big names through the years and they all pretty much have the same service by us.

YMMV....

• Like Like x 1
  5. McGoo47

McGoo47 New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    True, Verizon employees are a bunch of penny pinchers and u are correct in saying that T mobile in my area is shitty... But my friends who have had t mobile have pretty much all switched to either Verizon or at&t. If u live in the New England area not including Boston (cause any service provider works good their) don't get t mobile or sprint. They just don't have to best coverage. Plus I worked at a mall and made friends with those pesty t-mobile kiosk employees and they too know that they aren't that good. That's why t mobile is the only phone company that goes "fishing" for customers. They throw out some line hoping you'll bite and come over and talk to them.

McGoo47

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Agreed. It depends on the area so remember to always include that caveat when discussing what provider is best.

As I indicated all the carriers are pretty much the same by me, which is the North Shore of Long Island. We don't have enough towers and all the carriers share what little we have. In certain locations around us Verizon may be slightly better, but not by much.

I am on Sprint (provided and paid by the company I work for) and my daughter has been with TMo for four years.

7. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    why not just stay with sprint?

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    rom x, to whom is that question addressed?

9. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    sorry my bad i thought the OP was saying he had sprint provided by his company but that was you. next time i will have my cup of java before posting.

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    LOL......

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    As of reports published today, now you have to pay, to pay them. $2 per month.

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Almost like I had a premonition.....Scary!

Yes, but it is a convenience fee. What, you don't find it convenient?

Just remember that when you pay this that it makes sure they can continue to provide exceptional service at the best cost. Blah, blah, blah..... And of course there are many ways to avoid the fee. A number include making sure you use an auto-pay system so they are sure they get your money on-time.

It's the network.....

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Sure. It's basically if you use your credit card or phone to pay "to cover the credit card fees". It does not apply to an ACH, either auto-deduct or manually triggered. I don't let any vendor just auto-deduct. I will trigger the payment before it is due <G>.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Exactly!

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    That $2 Verizon fee to pay your bill was shut down by Verizon...smart move

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    But you also know we will be seeing it or something like it again at some point in the future.....

It's what they do.....

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Oh of course. Live to fight another day!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Everything Android

18. snowboardking

snowboardking New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Unfortunately I can't afford Verizon, it's too expensive and Sprint doesn't have good service in my area. I also need an international plan so T-Mobile seems to be my best bet for that. Does anyone have the Galaxy SII ?? What do you think about the phone?

19. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    my take is the GS2 is the best phone on the market right now.

20. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Agreed, the Galaxy SII is still a killer phone

21. McGoo47

McGoo47 New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Have to agree with u on this too... If ur going with them that's the phone to get!!!

McGoo47