1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Junk mail Notification

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Alkali, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010

Sponsored Ad

My dear friends,
    Is there a way to stop junk mail Notification. It's frustrating to always rush to my phone when I get a notification only to see it's junk. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Everything Android

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Are you utilizing filters in your mail services

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    Filters like how? I am using hotmail and I selected that junk mails shall go to junk mail folder,that's all.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Are you saying that emails you see are in the junk mail folder on your desktop are still appearing in your Android inbox?

6. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    I am talking in entirely about my galaxy s3. That's where I have this unwanted junk email notification.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I understand that, but the best way to filter mail is at the server. If Hotmail is actually filtering and sending them to a Junk Mail Folder, but you see them on your phone Hotmail is not really filtering before sending to your device.

Can you check your desktop PC to see if the emails you see on your phone are in a filtered Junk Mail folder or if they are making it through Hotmail's filters and appearing in your desktop email application? Hotmail may not be filtering completely.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yea buts its COMING from Hotmail online

9. Erick Kincaid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2011
    i don't think so that their is any option to filter junk mails.

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Wrong.

11. Kristen Stucke

Kristen Stucke New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I am having the exact same issue, were you ever able to resolve it? does anyone have any solutions? I am not sure what changed, one day I just started getting the spasm notifications, even though the messages appear on my s3 and on my computer to be in the junk mail folder where they are supposed to be. please let me know, thanks

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Kristen, you say the spam messages are in a junk mail folder, but you are getting notifications. Can you explain that a bit more? If all you did was reroute certain domains or addresses to a specific folder you will still receive a new email notification. If your mail provider is blocking the messages and sending to a junk folder, but you get a notification they aren't blocking the messages at the server before you get a notification.

13. Kristen Stucke

Kristen Stucke New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    ok. I am not sure what more you need to know, but the spam that I get notifications for are ones that hotmail filters as junk, any address that is not recognized by my hotmail, so addresses that are not in my contacts go to junk, so I check it occasionally just in case. my BlackBerry never sent me spam notifications, and they didn't start on my s3 until I started checking the junk folder on my phone through the stock Email app. if hotmail is the problem how do I fix it?

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Best suggestion would be to try the Android Hotmail app to see if you get better performance. That should integrate the filters you use much better and hopefully make them more accurate. If you still get notifications for mail that is being sent to junk folders it indicates the Hotmail server is broadcasting the arrival before it is moved and I don't think there is much more you can do. As I indicated I am not a Hotmail user so I can't experiment to give you personal knowledge.

For the Android Hotmail app, look here.

Let us know what you do and if there is any resolution you find....

#13 stevetaz, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  15. dani59

dani59 New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I also use hotmail and I use it on my phone. I did NOT have a problem with gettin hotmails junk mail notifications until I upgraded my galaxy S3 to jellybean 4.1.1. There is not a setting that I can find to allow me to turn off junk mail notifations. I am not using the hotmail app, I am using the stock email app. (White envelope with red @) like I always have! Now all of a sudden I'm getting one junk mail notifation after another!! I have NOT loaded any new apps or change anything else, and don't tell us to download another app to fix this, because we never had a problem with it before! Thank you to anyone who can give us the RIGHT answer.

16. KrisW

KrisW New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Dani59,

THANK YOU!!! I'm not obviously the only one that is having the same problem!! I have noticed that if you go into the folder settings, there is a sync schedule for your inbox, and for the Junk folder as well. I have set the Junk folder sync option to "Manual" but I still keep getting the notifications! Just like you, it hasn't been since the update. I didn't happen right away though, for me, it wasn't until I checked the Junk folder as I was expecting an email that would probably go there. Once I checked the folder, that is when the app started this nuisance.. *ding ding* sounds like I just got some more JUNK. Has anyone tried contacting Samsung? I tried yesterday through their chat client but wasn't able to get through. I'm also wondering if deleting and re-adding the Hotmail account would solve it..

Something else that I've noticed since the update.... now when I put my phone on vibrate, it doesn't vibrate when a text message comes in... you have to have the "also vibrate" option on, which I don't want as I don't want to hear the notification and it vibrate. Before the update, if it was on vibrate, the phone would vibrate for text messages, now, if the phone is on vibrate, nothing happens.... just another thing that I noticed and don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this as well.

17. KrisW

KrisW New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Sorry, all this, including the junk mail notifications, started happening AFTER the update.

18. Borealis365

Borealis365 New Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Hi,
    Hahaha...glad it wasn't only me :)
    Like KrisW, I also had this problem after I once checked what was in my Junk folder. But I reckon if you long-press on the junk folder and select Toggle sync on the popup menu, you should be right. Seems to have worked here...fingers crossed...

19. uncltravlinmatt

uncltravlinmatt New Member

May 16, 2013
    I guess this is just a sign of solidarity with everyone here. I have this exact same problem and it drives me nuts 'cause I don't want to be notified of all the crap that gets put into my Hotmail Junk folder.

Like everyone else here, I checked my Junk mail folder once after upgrading to Jellybean (because stuff occasionally does end up there) and ever since then the in-house email app has been sending me notifications whenever I get junk mail in my Hotmail account. I've set the sync to manual but that doesn't help, as has been pointed out already.

Time to take this up with Samsung. (That should go pretty much nowhere.)

20. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    Since there is no solution, let us report to Samsung or Mother Google 'cause the problem must be there. With my iPhone never had that!

21. uncltravlinmatt

uncltravlinmatt New Member

May 16, 2013
    Bad news. I went on Samsung live chat and the person I chatteded with clearly didn't have a clue what I was talking about. He just kept saying "it's not supported yet" and other nonsense like that. He gave me a number to call for Samsung tech support and I couldn't understand the guy I talked to on there very well but I think he was trying to tell me that the email app was not a Samsung app but a Google app. (I don't actually think he knew what I was talking about either.)

I will eventually try Google next but I'm going to go ahead and bang my head against the wall a few times first just to prepare myself.