1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Switched From iPhone

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by imbty, Sep 17, 2012.

1. imbty

imbty New Member

Sep 17, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Well, not me. But hello!

So my friend just switched to the Android form iPhone. She kinda regrets it but I told her I'm sure the Android can do, if not, more than the iPhone. I'm just sticking with the iPhone, coz well, it works, but I do use a lot of Google products (I use iCloud too).

Basically, I got some "cool" stuff on my jailbroken iPhone, but would like my friend to have something similar. Did some Googling so I figured it's "rooted" for Androids. Looking for 'equivelants'

biteSMS- I already got this part. She's going to try chompSMS(biteSMS) and Handcent
    Activator- gestures to open things up. like I press my volume controls and it opens camera. I can scroll from the bottom to middle and "quick text from biteSMS" opens up. From top-middle I getto Tweet quickly
    PhotoAlbums+- i want her to be able to lock her photos.. or at least, other apps. I got my Facebook and Twitter locked using ABCD passcode while my phone's normal passcode is 1234 (examples)
    Winterboard- I read you can customize Android out of the box. but is there a 'better' 3rd party?
    Applocker- like i mentioned, i want to be able to lock certain apps
    KillBackground- not sure how Android works, but is there a way to easily "close" all apps?
    IntelliScreenX- I like being able to have a place to "see" everything such as Mail, Missed Phone Calls, Texts, Tweets, etc.

How about hiding certain apps? I have apps that I don't use so I "hide" it and it can't be seen anywhere unless I search it using Spotlight. I read that Android has Dropbox, so that's good. Will get her to have that soon.

Thanks.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Out of curiosity why did your friend change to Android? Doesn't sound like she really wanted to.

Please post the brand, model and OS version running on the phone......

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You dont need an app to customize Android homescreens like the iPhone, just play with the widgets.
    You also dont need an app to kill programs, Android will do that for you as well.

To hide system apps you need to have root access to the phone.

5. imbty

imbty New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Oh, sorry. I didn't know it mattered. Does it? Anywho, it's the HTC Inspere 4G. I'm not sure what OS version it is though.

Anything I should know about rooting? With the iPhone, you can restore it so you can still get it fixed/replaced under warranty.

Anywho, I don't think she needs to hide certain apps. And for those wondering, I don't really know why she switched. She kinda regrets it, but I told her I'm sure the Android can do what the iPhone can't. She just needs to get pass the learning curve and get used to it.

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I don't think she should be rooting, just yet only so she can hide a few system apps.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I agree with Scott. Rooting is not something to do just to see if you can make a phone like your last one. She should get used to the device, see what it can do, what it has and explore how it works before jumping into loading up a bunch of apps let alone rooting.

I am going to guess it came with GingerBread (Android 2.3) OS, but if bought used it could have come with Froyo (2.2). Was this bought new from a provider or a third-party seller or maybe used? You can look in Settings > About Phone > Software Information for the Android Version it is running.

There is definitely a learning curve, but Android devices can do a lot and are pretty stable. She should look around this site for other member's experiences and recommendations on apps. She should load apps sparingly to make sure the device remains stable.

Post questions and the members will be happy to share their thoughts, successes and failures.