1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving Verizon for Nexus 5 on T-Mobile

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by n99hockey, Jan 15, 2014.

1. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007

Sponsored Ad

So today I ordered the Nexus 5 from the Play Store.

32gb White one, so with that the wife and I will be leaving Verizon after 8 or 9 years and switching over to T-Mobile.

Going from $163 a month to $106 a month and that $106 is including $16.50 extra for my wife's new phone from T-Mobile. They are also paying my wife's ETF which is about $120.

I hope this works out Haha. The coverage map looks real good in and pretty far out from my area so I think I should be OK.

Should get the new phone from Google in a free days and then the porting begins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Everything Android mobile app

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Wow! The start of a new era....I hope it works well for you.

My daughter had TMobile all during college and frankly I thought it worked out well. Her coverage there and at home was good and the pricing couldn't be beat.

TMo has finally reversed the consumer exodus and they have had some really good success at capturing some market share.

I can't wait to read about your initial impressions and your experiences as the time goes along.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    My Nexus 5 arrives tomorrow at the office (well, actually today, but we are closed). I am super excited to mess with it (unlock and root). We make the switch on Saturday.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Gee Scott, does that mean it may be sitting on the stoop awaiting your arrival?

Hmmmm....Nice day for a ride down there.....

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Haha nope! Signature is required, so they will redeliver to the office tomorrow.

Sorry :)

Edit: but you can still come for a visit!

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Snap! Too bad....Worth a shot though, eh? :p

Tomorrow's weather not looking too promising. At least not along the coast. I am really not in the mood for this again....

<grrr> :eek: :confused: :mad:

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Been a pretty snowy winter, not accumulation but quantity of occurrences. I don't mind the snow, I don't like driving around other people in it.

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    This year we have been getting all the snow on Long Island while New Jersey has been spared with the weather patterns. Today is supposed to be more of the same. You may see 4"-5" and we are in line for 12"-14".

I am pretty bored with this nonsense......

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Nexus 5 is in the house!
    I got it just before we closed the office due to storm dumping 8"+ of snow here.

No service on it yet, but up and running off WiFi. It is still downloading my apps, so I can't give too much on it yet, but in the few minutes I have messed with it, it is super snappy.

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Exciting news and we expect you to keep us advised of every move you make with the new toy.

No phone service until Saturday though, eh? Should give you plenty of time to root, unroot and root again. Then you can disassemble it and install a turbo....Oh, sorry. Wrong toy....

12. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    No turbos, but I did unlock the boot loader. Root will be next, got the file downloaded just have to wait for the kids to go to bed so I can play.

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Well, another fun storm done. About 12". Looks like Jersey got more than expected. How did you make out Scott?

So the kids were put to bed...probably by 6:30 so you could get to the phone? LOL

How did your first night with the Nexus 5 go?

14. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I think we ate in the 10"-11" range, but it's hard to tell with all the snow drifts.

The kids bed time is 7pm.. no need to rush :)

First night was great. Unlocked bootloader, rooted and loaded all software and logged in to everything. So it's very much ready to go for service.

Probably lack of cell service but the battery life was quite amazing. Love the size of it, it's just a little bigger than the Galaxy Nexus and it's really so damn snappy.

I got the 32gb version with a white back.

I used Action Launcher on my Galaxy Nexus but an going to stick with the stock launcher and see how the Google Now page works and acts.

So far so good. The real test will be T Mobile service, I'm still a little nervous but the coverage maps says I will be fine.

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Think you are right about the battery life. Once that 4G kicks in should be a different story, but you will let us know I am sure.

16. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    So I'm on T-Mobile.. I have left the comfort of Big Red after 10 years.

Numbers are ported and fully migrated to the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Everything Android mobile app

17. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Any signs of disaster or is the first impression coverage is okay in your neck of the woods?

18. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Service stated at the Menlo Park Mall and checked every so often on the drive home but has full bars of LTE the whole way.

3 bars in the house, and will know about the office tomorrow where I had terrible Verizon coverage.

So far the sky is not falling. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Everything Android mobile app

19. undertaken316

undertaken316 New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Here's a nice review for the Nexus 5:

20. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Ok, call me a stalker, call me a copycat, call me whatever. Guess who just cut the big red cord, and bought a Nexus 5 from T-Mobile?

• Like Like x 1
  21. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Awesome, congrats on the move. We are 2 weeks in and quite happy with the change.

• Like Like x 1