1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Lollipop Is Coming...

Discussion in 'Archive' started by stevetaz, Nov 15, 2014.

1. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Lolipop, Android's 5.0 OS, is coming and has some very interesting features.

The new OS is a major update incorporating Google's new "Material Design" approach. Consistency between apps is the anthem and it looks to me like it will be a good thing.

Engadget has a very good summary/review here.

Of course, as with every other major Android OS upgrade, the big question is....Will my device get it? Here is a current list, but keep in mind this will expand as manufacturers have a chance to do in-depth testing.

It is safe to say older devices will not be able to run this new version and I am pretty sure I will not be seeing my Galaxy SIII on the list.However, back when KitKat was introduced the SIII was not on the initial list, so maybe I should hold some false hope?

May just be this good old SIII may soon be falling onto concrete.....Ooooooops!

2. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Little piece of advice Steve, I hear electronic devices like water. :p

Sent from my SM-N910P using Everything Android mobile app

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Tru 'dat Darren.......

5. NeoCortex

NeoCortex New Member

Mar 12, 2015
    it will be best os for phones

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Quick update....Lollipop update came to my Galaxy S5 about two or three weeks ago and it has some nice features. However, I am not one to dig into the OS to explore and discover every difference. Overall I have not noticed any big differences except for one big one in my world.....Battery life has dropped.

I actually am back to having to charge during the day for at least a brief time to make sure I don't drop below 20% before the end of the night. I consider myself to be a power user (barely), but when I first got the Galaxy S5 I was very impressed with the battery life. At the end of the day I always had 35% - 40% left so the Lollipop upgrade has annoyed me in a way. I know I have seen comments confirming my experience so I can only hope some tweaking will be done in future updates.

That aside, the phone seems to handle pretty much whatever I throw at it with no lagging or stuttering and that is welcomed. The big news I keep reading about is "Material Design". Guess I am oblivious, but I don't get the big change. Perhaps it is because I did have the Nova "L" beta installed for some time and that may have softened the appearance differences because I was used to some already.

I will say that one change I really like is the job they have done with integrating notifications into the lock screen. Very nicely done!

Overall I am happy with the new OS, but perhaps I am easy. I may be easy, but I am not cheap! LOL

Looks like the 5.1 update was released earlier this week and battery life tweaking was mentioned as one of a reported 14,000 tweaks, most under the hood. Let;'s see how long Sprint takes to release it now.

What is your experience and opinion?

7. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    I feel better now. I thought I was losing my mind when it seemed like my battery life was down.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Everything Android mobile app

8. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I got Lollipop on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 last night. There are some definite things that are different. One thing that I noticed is that a contact widget that used to display a home, work, and cell number now only displays 2 of those items and you have to scroll. Only problem is in the ridiculous flat interface, there's no scroll bars to tell you that! Spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why my contacts on my screen were missing critical information when I touched it accidently and it scrolled down. Some indication, like an arrow or something would have been a nicety.

Not a fan of the green on blue icons in the drop down that control all of the phone functions. That doesn't seem like a very well thought out color scheme. I've found no way to change it.

The keyboard is different and maybe a little better with spacing between keys. Need some more typing on it to tell.

The task manager is different, but ain't no big thing. Swipe or tap an X not really an issue.

I've been playing with it a lot this morning and so battery is down to 73%.

I see on the home screen now, they have the carrier name in the upper left hand corner. Like I really need someone to remind me who my carrier is??

Overall, it seems to be working pretty smoothly and there are certainly differences, but I'm learning my way through them. Once I found that all my contacts were still intact, my heart rate returned to normal.

Broadband version is N900VVRUE0B6 with Android 5.0

One wonderful thing about the update is that it finally allowed me to disable Flipboard and My Magazine, two of the biggest loads of crap Samsung's ever put on a phone.

9. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    I think now you should say that Marshmallow is coming.

10. oskar

oskar New Member

Feb 21, 2016
    I need a new verson
    Lollipop

11. rosario1990

Bronze

Feb 1, 2015
    You didn't get Lollipop update?

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    You do realize Lollipop was well over a year ago and Marshmallow has been out for months and months?
    I guess you are right....Lollipop will be awhile coming for you...

<sigh>