1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for cost effective android phone

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by jessicasiny, Feb 10, 2012.

1. jessicasiny

jessicasiny New Member

Jan 11, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hi all,

I'm looking for a cheap android phone.

I use corporate sync for email.
    Once a week or so I use maps/navigator.
    I need a Dual SIM phone that unlock.

That's about it. I search by google and found this Hero G9, which satisfies my demands. What do you think of this? Any resources would be appreciated!

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    First of all if you think it meets your needs then you don't need anyone's opinion. You have to use it and live with it.

Looks like it is well over 18 months since release and it is a cheap entry-level phone. What I would be concerned with is that it only appears to be sold via the web, which doesn't allow you to try it out and see if it feels good to you. What happens if there is a service problem, who pays the freight and how long will you be without a phone? What is the warranty and how reputable is the seller?

Most important is to never buy the phone and then the network. Make sure you know that the service provider you choose has coverage for where you live, work and play. Also make sure your carrier/service provider will allow unlocked phones and that the handheld runs on the proper frequencies.

Most carriers offer more mainstream phones for little or no cost as long as you sign up for one or two years service. Have you shopped that too? Will you be going with a Pay As You Go plan?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I don't believe that there are many Dual SIM Android phones out there to be honest with you...

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Can you please explain the nonsense you posted? There are expensive Android phones and there are inexpensive ones too.

Since when is an iPhone or a BlackBerry an Android phone?

Just looking for a way to post your spam signature?

#4 stevetaz, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  6. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Didn't Chris have it in the forums where you couldn't "link" unless you had a certain number of posts? A lot of "people" posting just to get spam signitures or junk out there...

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Maybe there is a disconnect between people from different countries here, but in the USA we can buy Android phones for prices ranging between free and $300 (or more) from providers tied to a 2 year contract. I think 3 year contracts are common in Canada. I believe in Europe providers may not be able to sell phones tied to a contract period, but I am not sure. I think they are required to sell phones unlocked so maybe they charge more for that too.

Perhaps the term cheap has to be defined by the market our members are in with a bit of detail on what they consider cheap or expensive and why.

Here in the US a large number of users do not go and buy a phone, insert a SIM and start using it. We buy phones locked to carriers and the carriers sell the phones at a loss (or with a subsidy from the manufacturer) because they will make it up over the life of the contract. With carriers like Verizon and Sprint we can't as they are CDMA and do not use SIM cards.

Here are a couple of links with prices from two carriers in the US that do use SIM cards on GSM networks:
    TMobile Free up to $229
    AT&T Free up to $300

8. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Guess we'll see your next advertisement in another 30 days.

Sent from Tapatalk

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Huh?

10. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    His/her first piece of spam was 30 days ago.

Sent from Tapatalk

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I got 'ya. Takes me awhile on weekends.....

12. anjali jain

anjali jain New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    +1 from me......I also doubt you'd find anything that's 'good' with those capabilities with dual sim.

13. kelly frame

kelly frame New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    I have the pantech burst and I really like it. It has good texting and map. I don't know about the GPS, considering I don't drive, but it was only $50 with a 2 year contract with at&t

14. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    I picked up a mint, used Sensation for $200 and am loving Sense 3.6 on ICS. Thought I'd be waiting/spending my HUP on the GS3 but this thing has me seriously considering the OneX.

Anyway I think it's awesome as a cheap phone and if you're gonna keep it then you could always spend your HUP on whatever has the steepest subsidy and sell that to make say $350 making the Sensation a free + cash deal.

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sounds good iP5.....What do you like so much about Sense?

16. Dokar

Dokar New Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Sony Xperia series have 1Ghz processor with 512MB Ram and 360MB internal memory. So select any Xperia phone, but don't select "Xperia Mini". It has heating issue.

17. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    The widgets are quite good particularly; clock/weather, picture frame of albums, contacts. Also I like it's pull down toggle bar over Touch Wiz though nothing beats CM. I prefer my apps drawer button in the middle. HTC Hub is a great source for high quality audio snips for notifications.

My original beef with Sense was that it hit the battery hard but that's no longer the case.

edit: Almost forgot, IIRC browsers in a lot of ICS builds lost the text wrap at any zoom scale. Sense is able to re-enable this.

Sent from Tapatalk

18. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
  19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks for the insight iP5. I have only used one Android phone so far and it is an HTC with Sense so that is all I know. I also have enjoyed it and found others commenting on how they hate the user interfaces of their other brands interesting because I wasn't experiencing the problems they were describing.

Manufacturers creating their own interfaces can be a good thing!

20. loustewart

loustewart Member

Jun 4, 2012
    The Samsung galaxy y. Its a dual sim anroid phone with affordable price.

21. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    That would be the Galaxy Y Duo with the dual SIMs. A low-end phone with minimal memory, no front camera, a marginal fixed camera with no flash, etc. It is aimed at teens and "emerging markets".

• Agree Agree x 1