1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Low memory

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Smarty2600, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 New Member

Jun 27, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Several times I've gotten a low memory warning, it suggests a reboot, removing one or more applications. Then tells me too look at running services. But what do I do realistically? Removing an app does the mean deleting one because I thought it was talking about ram not actual gigabyte memory? PS I already rebooted and it came back.

edit: also i've gotten this message after viewing a flash video if that matters

Sent from my DROID X2 using Everything Android

2. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    So, there is a difference between storage and application memory.
    Look at SETTINGS | APPLICATIONS | MANAGE APPLICATIONS | ALL | menu | sort by size.

This will show which apps are consuming space and on the bottom you can read how much of your 512mb is used up. Typically Android is fine till around < 40mb free.

How many apps have you installed?

If possible check the settings of your apps for options to cache to your SD card.

One app that is a common offender is the cache space on your browser. Another possible is the offline cache on Google maps. Personally I set Dolphin to clear the cache on exit.

Once you root your device you can actually move apps to run off the SD card, you can add to the cache volume and backup multiple versions of apps offline to the SD card.

For example, this Nook only has 512mb built-in but I've extended onto to my SD to get 942mb.

Remember to use class 6 or faster uSD cards.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 New Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Well I went to the manage apps and I only have about 25-30 apps installed including bloatware I can't delete. I went to the bottom but nothing showed how much (is the 512b your referencing RAM) mb I had left of RAM or real memory. I went to look under sd card and phone storage and have 1.57GB left of app storage. I have 4.27GB available space on my sd card. And I've heard that you can move apps to the sd card without rooting now since froyo was out but it seems none of my apps can, they say move to media area. What does that mean? Some apps have it highlighted and others don't let me click it but I'm not sure what it means? Btw here is an article that says froyo supports apps to sd on its own without root http://www.androidcentral.com/moving-apps-sd-card-froyo. And as far as class 6, I'm using the 8GB card that came with my droid x2, and I have 4GB internal storage. Thanks for the tips on the clear cache, I've set that up for dolphin but I haven't even touched Google maps so I let that be.

5. jlloyd

jlloyd New Member

Jul 2, 2011
  6. jlloyd

jlloyd New Member

Jul 2, 2011
    How much space does it show you have remaining in the different partitions. The phones 2 parts and the actual SD card?

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android

7. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    I forget if froyo shows ram use in the list, can you sort by ram use. I just don't understand how you've used GBs of app space of the 4gb internal.

I think near my peak I've had 300+ user apps installed on about a 1gb volume bridging both the phoned and SD. Can the bloatwear be that bad.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

8. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    How's memory lately?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

9. Dolan

Dolan Guest

i can't even install 10 apps? how sad! this needs fixed ASAP

what is the purpose of apps and the phone when you can only install like 6 apps on your internal
    phone memory? bs

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What phone do you have?
    Can you give us some info? Have you tried to install apps to the SD Card?

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    And have you been storing media like pictures, music, video in ther device memory or are they saved to a media card?

12. Dolan

Dolan Guest

Ok, Hello

Here is phone info!

Huawei-M920
    Droid Version 2.3.6

Yes I move apps to the Sd card if possible.

I was almost going to get a LG droid phone, but did not.

Though probably would end up with the same error.

Dolan
    thanks for replying
    cheers

13. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    Hi Dolan,
    My girlfriend has the same issue on a fairly regular basis with her Ascend II. Her's doesn't have much space allocated for apps at all and her carrier (Cricket) seems to have loaded more bloatware than even Verizon typically does. I know that there is a port of CM7 out there for the Ascend II, you may want to check to see what ROMs are out there for your phone

Sent from my DROID4 using Everything Android

14. Dolan

Dolan Guest

thanks for the Information. Just seems like the Android/phone programmers would understand basic and simple
    Math, like 1 + 5 or so on.

How to allocate memory/space for apps.

D

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Perhaps the issue is more the device you bought. It only has 512mb of memory, pretty low-end in this day and age of apps and ever expanding memory and processor demand.

I am still shocked you can't add more than 6-7 apps though. What does your free and used memory show? Something is wrong. Perhaps the provider has loaded the phone with bloatware?

16. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    OG Droid had the same. But it came with a 16GB SD card. Never had an issue. Installed all aps to card.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

17. Dolan

Dolan Guest

well of course the internal phone storage/memory/sd card storage are all different beasts.
    But come on, wake up programmers? maybe I need to teach myself programming so I can fix this stuff myself.
    Not sure, but if you say install a app and another app and another app into internal phone storage and the apps are not even close to say 10MB and say you have 20MB avail, then why shouldn't I beable to install all 3 apps?

Dolan
    just saying

18. Dolan

Dolan Guest

another thing, anyway to get rid of some of the Internal Apps on the phone?
    such as google maps?
    or even say a movie was pre installed, I bet its HUGE!
    any way to nuke that?

19. Dolan

Dolan Guest

Understand, but the fact is if you install a say 12MB app and you say you have 15 MB available, you bet you should beable to install the app. Nope not the case!

D

20. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Isn't that similar to what happens on a PC? you may be installing a 100mb app, but you may need 150-200mb because the system needs room for swap files and slack. As the install progresses there may be use of 140mb, but after the install is complete it settles down to 100mb after all the "mess" is cleaned up.

Keep in mind too that as memory grows in devices programmers begin to get a little sloppier and they start to build in fluff. In many ways the growth in memory leads to sloppier programming and bloated software. Just seems to happen because it is easier for many programmers. They don't have to be as efficient. That and the fact people seem to love bells and whistles.

To get rid of preinstalled apps that don't appear in the Application list for removal I believe you will have to root. Yes, they can be removed, but not if it is stock.

21. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Steve is correct, you would need to root, however I would vote against removing Google Maps.