1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Magnetic sensor too sensitive???

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by bkai, Sep 8, 2012.

1. bkai

Bronze

Nov 7, 2011

Sponsored Ad

So it's great that the N7 has a magnetic sensor in the screen for cases that implement the magnetic shut off feature, however... the sensor appears to either be far too sensitive or placed a little too close to the back of the device:

Or I suppose the magnets in the Boxwave case I have are a little too strong? I've reached out to Boxwave for some answers, as well as Google, but have yet to hear back from either one.

This really wouldn't be an issue for me were it not for the fact that with the magnetic sensors activated, you cannot manually turn on the device! So this case (and maybe others) is simply useless when folded back completely to hold the N7 with one hand (which I do quite a bit).

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I havent seen that reported with some of the other cases. Maybe its just the boxwave case.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. bkai

Bronze

Nov 7, 2011
    Could be... but I can easily lock the device by placing a small magnet on the back in the same general location as it is on the front. So perhaps it's merely the strength of the magnets used?

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Could be, I have seen people put magnets in cases without and haven't seen it do what you are describing. So maybe it is too powerful.

6. bkai

Bronze

Nov 7, 2011
    Boxwave has responded:

I guess I'll just wait and see what they say :)

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    At least they replied. Looking forward to hearing updates

8. bkai

Bronze

Nov 7, 2011
    Considering they didn't send me a canned response I see this as a good indication they overlooked this issue before manufacturing. I'm also fairly confident they'll send me a new one that has been corrected. I've owned plenty of Boxwave products over the years and have always been very pleased so I won't give up on them just yet :)

9. bkai

Bronze

Nov 7, 2011
    Wow... ok this is a first:

I'm not sure what "...unable to thoroughly test the magnet..." really means but it looks like Boxwave is out. Bummer! :(

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Well that's a shame. How hard is it to test a magnet!?

11. bkai

Bronze

Nov 7, 2011
    Dunno... but I just placed a new order for this one: http://goo.gl/Kkbeh

I received confirmation that this case has no issues

12. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Good luck with this one. Report back!

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Wouldn't theat be code for "we don't have an N7 to test with" and they don't plan to buy one?

14. bkai

Bronze

Nov 7, 2011
    Could be... or they've realized they made a huge manufacturing error and don't want to deal with it until more people bring up this issue. I can't imagine a company like Boxwave doesn't have access to at least 1 N7 to test but oh well. I've written my review on Amazon with a link to my video and I feel I was pretty fair with it. They're giving me a full refund so I'll just move along. This will definitely increase my hesitation (a little) on ordering Boxwave products from now on though.

15. bkai

Bronze

Nov 7, 2011
    So the Boxwave has been returned and my YooMee case arrived today. Virtually identical and the magnet lid works as it should! :)

And it was cheaper. I'm very happy with the YouMee case: same quality, same fit, same feel, and it doesn't turn off my screen when folded back (y)

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Glad to hear you resolved the issue and that you seem happy with it!

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Awesome... Enjoy

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

18. bkai

Bronze

Nov 7, 2011
    This is an interesting response:

Specifically the "we look forward to receiving and processing your returned package" LOL

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Good to know you are the only one ever with this problem. You should run out and play Lotto NOW!

:D

• Like Like x 1