1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

MAJOR error with updating the Note 3

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by zabrak, Apr 19, 2014.

1. zabrak

zabrak New Member

Apr 19, 2014

Sponsored Ad

So I've actually been getting this error for the past couple months, though I'm just now properly addressing it.

So I rooted my Note 3 a few months ago, and since then I've been getting an error every time I try to update my phone.

I should note that literally every morning, I get a prompt asking to update my phone.

Anyway, the error is:

"Software update unsuccessful: Sorry, there was a problem updating your SAMSUNG SM-N900V. No changes were made."

And that's that. My current Android version is 4.3

Anyone know what's going on here?

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Sounds like when you rooted it, you disabled "over the air" updates from your carrier. For me, it is one if the reasons I root in the first place. Sometimes, Ota "updates" remove features I want/need/bought phone for. For example, when Froyo went to GB, disabled the function of my led blinking with screen ON....

Many are complaining about KitKat, and wish their phone didn't automatically "upgrade"...

If you know enough about your phone and updates for it, you can always" unroot", take the OTA update (shouldn't fail this time), and re-root.

HOWEVER!.... Make sure this is possible! When some phones update the OS, it "patches" the root exploit, and until a new one is found, root isn't possible...

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Or, you made system changes to system apps and it can't update. Revert back or find a custom ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Everything Android mobile app

5. zabrak

zabrak New Member

Apr 19, 2014
    ALRIGHT BROS

So I properly unrooted my phone back to how to default settings

however it looks like the 4.4 KitKat update isn't available for Verizon yet on the Note 3

anybody else know anything about this?

Apparently it may release in May 3rd or something, I don't know:

http(COLON)//www(DOT)gottabemobile.com/2014/04/18/verizon-galaxy-s4-galaxy-note-3-android-4-4-update-what-we-know/

6. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    So... It appears that the OTA you were trying to download was not Kitkat. Could have just been some software updates. Had that a few months ago on my Droid RAZR Maxx.

I use Safestrap, though, and have the system UI on the "non-safe" side. I do not touch it, as I can always count on it in "emergency" situations. I use a custom ROM on the safe side, so I am not notified of system upgrades. I found out by the forums for Droid RAZR. However, I was warned that by upgrading, I would lose root, and there was (at that time) no way to re-root. I didn't update until a root exploit was found. Again, it was NOT the upgrade to Kitkat, as I don't think this phone will be updated to that.

7. zabrak

zabrak New Member

Apr 19, 2014
    What? Wait, are you saying KitKat is available for Verizon Note 3s?

8. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Uhhhmmm... Not at all. I actually said that it wasn't Kitkat, but just an upgrade. I said my phone did the same thing. And further stated that when I looked into the upgrade for my phone, all advice said that I would like root, and do not take the upgrade unless I didn't need root, or I could wait until a root exploit was found. I did the second option.

This way, I have latest system upgrade on my phone (NOT KITKAT, THOUGH...) and I retained root.