1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Memory and storage

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Andriod Newbie, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011

Sponsored Ad

What is the difference between internal memory amass internal storage? I have tons of internal memory...but the storage is getting full, and i am wondering if that also might bee an issue with performance.

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Everything Android

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Where do you see these two listed? Mine seems to essentially display only Internal and External. Not sure if this is due to the HTC Sense interface.

I will venture a guess that Internal memory is where the OS and a few essential apps are installed by the manufacturer. If so it is probably best not to install or save anything there if you can avoid it.

Mass memory tends to be a larger memory space where music, images, video, etc. can be stored and I think most applications are installed.

However, I usually associate Mass storage with Media Cards. That could be due to my time with BlackBerrys as that was a function one needed to activate in order to "see" the memory card when connected to a PC. Note that BBs could NOT have applications installed to the Media Card and the opposite seems to be true with Android. As a matter of fact BB owners have to be careful to refer to SD Cards as Media Cards since they can't really store much on the card except Media stuff.

Hopefully a member with more experience than me can step in and educate both of us......

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Internal memory is the space to execute code be it the OS or apps. Storage memory is for things like pics, documents, music, user data.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

5. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    I have a LG Esteem. I did some research and apparently there is a "fake" sd card which is really internal storage? I am supposed to be able to insert an external card but for the life of me I can't find it. I looked under the battery and there is a little card thing that I pulled out and it said "do not remove" and it was too big for the sd card anyway so I put it back.

I need to do two things. I tried to hook the phone to my computer to get my pictures and videos off the phone. On the computer I could only see the pictures I downloaded from text messages and the like, not the ones that I took and were saved on the phone. So, I figured I needed to move it to an sd card to pull off the phone and put on my computer. I dunno...shooting in the dark here.:eek:

Second, my phone has been lagging. I have had to manually delete apps running in the background, and all the cache to get my pictures to go, which I use for my job. Could be that I have too many pictures on the phone. I would like to save my pictures and videos directly to an external card but I can't figure out where to install it. No matter how much I search...all I find is info on formatting the sd card once it's in and troubles with getting things to automatically download on the external card. I can't even find where to put the card! I must be retarded. :confused:

These are the specs I found online for the LG Esteem. Right now if I go to sd card and storage my phone says I have 4GB total internal MEMORY, 3.47 GB of which are available. When I go to applications it says there is 1.2 GB INTERNAL STORAGE used and 319MB free. Umm...but it says below 8000 MB built in storage below. I'm confused. I know...sorry it takes time to teach us newbies. Can anyone help me figure this out? :(

Hardware

• Processor:​
      • Single core, 1000 MHz
    • Graphics processor:​
        • Yes
    • System memory:​
      • 512 MB RAM
    • Built-in storage:​
      • 8000 MB
    • Storage expansion:​
      • Slot Type:
        • microSD, microSDHC
      • Maximum card size:
        • 32 GB

6. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    When connected to pc, look in a folder called DCIM to see if photos are there.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

7. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    I literally checked every folder and the only pictures i found were the downloaded ones. The MMS folder had nothing. :-(

8. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    Ok Sheri, i went back and found the pictures in the folder you mentioned. I just needed to go one more folder deep and was being too cautious. Thanks again!