1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Migration of all info

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by San Antone RR, Jan 1, 2011.

1. San Antone RR

San Antone RR New Member

Nov 21, 2010

Sponsored Ad

I am picking up a MyTouch 4G in the morning. Currently have a Samsung Vibrant. I know the contacts and Google calendar will be synced when I put my GMail login info into it, but how do I move my apps and their settings to the new handheld?

2. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    most if not all of the apps should be restored as well, some of the settings will need to be redone though

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You can use Astro File Manager and backup all your apk files and then reinstall them, or if you are rooted you can use Titanium Backup to restore them.

5. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    My Backup Pro works on non-rooted phones.

Please let us know how it works out. These phones are so reliable that there aren't many reports from people replacing them with the same phone let alone a different phone.

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

6. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I should have read that closer. Do the apps really reappear? They didn't 6 months ago. That would make it much easier to change phones.

7. San Antone RR

San Antone RR New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    I used to be a phone whore before the IPhone. Swapped them a lot. Had a G1 when they first came out, but wasn't happy with 1.5. Went back to my IPhone which I upgraded to the 3G then the 3GS. Have had the Vibrant a few weeks, but it is too light and I am afraid I am going to break it so I am going to the MT4G.
    I also like the front camera and the UI.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Some say they do, but in my experience when switching ROM's, only my purchased apps show in the app market under downloads or 'my apps'

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    All my apps came back after installing a new ROM. Those that didn't were not installed from market. They were on my SD card, so I used Astro to reinstall.

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

10. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    In my experience the Market crashes if you update more than three apps at once. How would it handle installing 100 apps at once?

I'm calling BS on Paco.
    * Sherri called BS on my BS while I was typing.

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I just installed a new ROM and updated 15 apps at once and no crashes

12. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    After switching from the Droid to Droid X back to Droid then to the X again then to the Droid Pro and back to the X, I can't think of any apps that haven't installed themselves. But then all of mine are market apps YMMV

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android App

13. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Don't recall calling BS on anything! Look, its ME! You guys know me over 3 years! If reinstalling was hard, would I do it? I have over 100 apps on here. (Most are apk files stored on sd card "in case I want/need them").63 are market apps. Reinstalled "automagically" after wipe for new ROM. (Ok, who here can actually believe that I can change ROM's??) :)

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

14. San Antone RR

San Antone RR New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    All righty, update time.
    I got an HD2 running froyo. It is not a dual boot with froyo ont he SD card, but a full Android install. Even after a hard reset using volume and power buttons the last owner's GMail account and other apps remain and can't be deleted. I added my addy and then tried to delete addy #1 without success. So I now have my 200+ contacts and the PO's 100 as well.
    Any ideas?

ETA: When I go into Accounts and Settings to remove the original account, I get a warning that there are apps that require the original account and that I must do a factory reset to delete. No changes at all to the phone after soft then factory reset.

15. San Antone RR

San Antone RR New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Solution: I reflashed the ROM and started from scratch.