1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

MMS Problem

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Briton Kirby, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Briton Kirby

Briton Kirby New Member

Oct 2, 2012

Sponsored Ad

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am a volunteer firefighter and we have a system where when we receive a fire call the tones are sent via media message to our cell phones. This system works great for everyone but me. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and when the message comes through it is only as a text message with no media attached at all. All other phones in my dept are receiving the messages and the phones range from a very old krazr to the new iphone 5. Can anyone help me understand what may be going wrong? Everyone that has tried to help me has given suggestions about removing the sim card to doing a root which i do not want to do and i do not have a sim card.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    First thing is to understand who provides your cell service and do they support MMS messaging? Many carriers also require a plan that costs a bit more to receive and send MMS messages.

Does your cellular plan include MMS messaging? MMS is a form of data and can we assume you have a data plan?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Briton Kirby

Briton Kirby New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Yes i have a 5GB data plan. That is why i am so confused about all this because i receive MMS messages on a daily basis and sometimes they can be rather large and they come through with no problem at all.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Are you the only user with a Samsung Galaxy S2? Is the message you are not getting a sound file and if so what is the format it is sent out using? You mentioned tones so that is why I am guessing it is a sound file.

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    And when these MMS messages are being sent are you in an area that you get a strong signal or could you be roaming?

Who is your carrier?

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Could a free app such as this be of any help?

8. Briton Kirby

Briton Kirby New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Yes i am the only user with a Samsung Galaxy 2. Unfortunately the free app will not work due in the area i am in. The way it is supposed to work is that when we get a fire call the tones that would normally go to our pager is sent in a audio mms message to our cell phones. I live in an area where i have full signal and 3g service and i have one of the better phones that pick up service in my dept i just cannot figure out why the message comes in as only a text with no mms in it at all. Its like the message is only being sent as a text while everyone else is receiving the audio.

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What carrier provides your service? What audio format are the files being sent?

10. Briton Kirby

Briton Kirby New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I have us cellular as a service provider. I'm not sure what format the files are sent in but everyone in my dept gets them but me. When i look at the audio on someone elses phone it looks just like how someone would be sent a ringtone. And i am the only one with us cellular that is not getting the messages. All others with that carrier are getting them

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Can you ask the sender to doublecheck the audio MMS is being sent to the correct address and not being sent as an email by mistake (@email.uscc.net )? They should be sending to your 10-digit wireless phone number followed by @mms.uscc.net. For example:
    1234567890@mms.uscc.net

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Briton Kirby, the reason I suspect the sender has the wrong address is the fact you are receiving other MMS messages without problems and other users with the same service provider are also receiving properly. That and the fact you are receiving a message, but only a text with no attachment. This is the only problem/solution that makes sense.

Can you confirm you have received other audio MMS messages or have they been photos or videos, but not audio files? If you have received video MMS files have they included audio tracks too?

13. Briton Kirby

Briton Kirby New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I receive audio messages on a regular basis that are not photos or videos. I just had a friend send me 5 songs she recorded just to check. Thank you i'll have them check about the address although i would have thought that i wouldnt receive anything if the address was wrong.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What I mean by wrong address is the @mms vs @email. The message will still get to you, but in the wrong format.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Briton Kirby

Briton Kirby New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Thank you i'll get them to try that and fix it

16. Watcher

Bronze

Aug 24, 2012
    Briton,

Make sure you post back in the positive or negative. We want to make sure you get the help you need since The City's Finest are always there to help everyone else! :)A

17. Erick Kincaid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2011
    There is setting in Messages menu. Try to adjust them according to your telecom service provider. I'm sure that it will help you.

18. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I thought the Fire Department personnel is the Bravest........

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Really, really helpful Erick....

20. medenblik

medenblik New Member

Oct 8, 2012
    i have S2 i727 with AT&T and i had same issue, i could get regular texts, emails, get on internet but couldn't send or receive MMS.....found this out and it worked...

Settings > more > mobile networks > AccessPoint Names

I reset to defaults....and put in these...

Name: ATT LTE
    APN: pta
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http : // mmsc.mobile.att.net (remove spaces)
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port: 80MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: Not set
    APN Type: default,supl,mms
    APN Protcol: IPv4
    APN Enable/Disable: Greyed out on my phone, but checked ENABLED.Bearer: Unspecified

and then I had to add this APN too

APN: wap.cingular
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MSS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410

Add this APN along with the default and see if it works out!

and IT WORKS....

#19 medenblik, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013