1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorola Android Phone Coming Late 2009

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by johnnydangerously, Oct 30, 2008.

1. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
  2. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    Well, we're all still in a waiting stage, and actually for those who can, this is a good thing. The thread I previously linked to HoFo turned pretty ugly, and the major ppl that were trying to be nice in their leaks of info and pics have now pretty much left that thread to run it's own course, for which I don't blame them at all.

I just find it interesting though, that every 'google' search for Motorola Sholes/Tao/Droid that takes you to any of the other sites with news, their news is pretty much taken from the above mentioned thread.

I first saw pics of this phone in May, well before the above mentioned thread was started, and I could hold my breath, why couldn't the others that ruined that thread over at HoFo?

Just my little IMHO.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Vazguard

Bronze

Jan 10, 2008
    Having acquired a G1 this summer, I really enjoy the Android OS. It's simple, very customizable, and has a warm feeling to it. My Sprint contract is up in January, and my parents are wondering about the Verizon family plan.

If the Tao turns out to be a great phone, I may rejoin the VZW plan to get it.

And here's to hoping it draws a modding crowd the likes have seen over at XDA-Dev.

5. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    More info/screenshots

Hey, I'm just a wannabe n00b, but since no one else has updated this thread in a bit, I guess I will again. The thread over at HoFo got closed for the bickering, another one was started, and now it's closed for the same reason. Out of the hundreds of pages in both, if you add up the really useful posts, you might get three or four pages (15ppp). The name of this device has gone from 'Sholes' to 'Tao' to 'Droid', therefore they were calling it the 'STD', who knows?

Anyways, the specs seem to stay the same, but the look of the phone has changed a bit from the earlier renders. I will post the pics I've been able to get. For one, the 'silver' lining around the edge of the screen looks to have gone away. Also and more important, this phone will be advertised and released on October 30, my guess is that there is no need for a 'pre-release' advertising campaign as the leaks all over the internet has done this already for Moto and VZW. It will be running Andriod 2.0. It will not have MotoBlur.

A week ago Tuesday, VZW and Google made an announcement about their partnership for new mobile devices. In the hands of the CEO of VZW was found this phone:

More pics to follow . . . .

Attached Files:

6. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    Here's a close up of the phone in the VZW CEO's hand:

Attached Files:

7. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    Here's one of the other earlier leaked photos from HoFo:

Attached Files:

• Tao1.jpg
      Tao1.jpg
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:
  8. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    And here's another one like above in landscape mode:

Attached Files:

• Tao5.jpg
      Tao5.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
  9. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    And here's a shot leaked over at BGR showing that it might be called the 'Droid' and that the software version is in fact 2.0:

Attached Files:

10. teddyearp

Bronze

May 21, 2009
    And finally, here's a very blurry shot of the phone with the slider open. IMHO it almost looks like the center of the 'd-pad' might have an optical sensor similar to the fingerprint scanner on the Napoleon:

Attached Files: