1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorola Droid (the telephone part)

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by davidA, Nov 12, 2009.

1. davidA

davidA New Member

May 18, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Three years ago, after testing many Smartphones (including Blackberry and Palm devices) I settled on a Motorola Q, mostly because the phone performed better than any of the others phones I tried out. I live in a weak signal area and the others I tried would drop calls (the Treo dropped all my calls and was useless) - The Blackberry worked better but was not as good as the Q. Motorola make strong telephones methinks :)

Could anyone who uses a Motorola Droid, in areas where reception is weak, offer me any feedback? I still use and like my Motorola Q but after three years it's time for a change.

Thanks

David

2. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Not sure I can comment on how it'll handle dropped calls. I can say that voice quality is impressive. I was talking to my friend on the Pre and then called him back on the Droid. It was night and day. The Pre is similar to the iPhone when it comes to voice quality. I don't think either are terrible. When you compare them to Droid, the quality on the Droid is noticeable.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. davidA

davidA New Member

May 18, 2009
    Thanks Chris; the quality of reception is important to me as I am a little hard of hearing. My plan is to visit my nearest dealer (20 miles away) and try to persuade them to let me bring the Droid home (without signing any paper) to test.

Cheers

5. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I really like my Q but out here in the woods of Central Oregon the phone is no where near as good as my old AudioVox (that was an incredible phone) so the Droid would have to be at least as good as the Q or it would be useless. Will be interested in hearing your report.

6. davidA

davidA New Member

May 18, 2009
    Thanks bberryhill0: I will revisit this thread at some later date with more feedback.

Cheers

7. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Droid RF performance

While I can't really comment regarding reception in poor signal areas, I can say definitively that the Droid shows better RF numbers than the Q9c/m.

Sitting right here in my apt. with both in the Call Status screen, the Droid shows an RSSI value between 90-93 -dbm and the Q9c shows between 94-98 -dbm.
    Lower numbers are better.

This avg. of 3-5 -dbm is significant because the scale is logarithmic with every 3 -dbm representing an effective doubling of signal strength.

I can safely say that the call quality and signal strength are exceptional on the Droid and I haven't dropped a single call yet on it! :dft003:cool

8. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    I'll be able to give you some feedback on call quality in a poor cell coverage area in an hour or two... and btw, I can appreciate your sentiment about the Q, as that's what I finally traded up from, after 3.5 years.

9. davidA

davidA New Member

May 18, 2009
    Thank you tj!2k6

Cheers

10. davidA

davidA New Member

May 18, 2009
    Thanks CellZealot: I wanted to get as much as feedback as possible before signing on the dotted line. My provider seems reluctant to let me test a new Droid (in the area where I live) before signing any paper.

11. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    Alright then, from this particular location:signal strength indicates 1 bar and -93dBm, and I still have 3G.

Since my Q is deactivated, I can't do a side-by-side comparison, but voice call quality appears to be on-par with, if not better than the Q and there is minimal occasional distortion.

Hope that helps...

12. Boycan

Boycan New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I went to my in-laws in Michigan back around Easter with my Q9c and could barely get a signal. Just got back this weekend from another trip there with my Droid and I had pretty good signal the whole week with my Droid.

13. davidA

davidA New Member

May 18, 2009
    Good Job - I am away to the UK for a month and will buy mine when I get back :) - assuming I have any money left.