1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Music and pics from computer?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Four_Year_Strong, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Four_Year_Strong

Four_Year_Strong New Member

Nov 2, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I've heard a lot about the Amazon music store and such, but can you also just put your own music and pictures from your computer on your memory card so you dont have to buy any music? -graham

2. ghoonk

ghoonk New Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Yes. I just copied a couple of albums to the Music folder of the microSD card and it shows up fine in the built-in music player

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Yeah, it's real easy to add music. I'm on a Mac and it's as simple as drag n drop.

5. gPhunk

gPhunk New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I haven't had any trouble adding music and pics to the G1 but haven't been able to figure out how to add the album art to each song/album. Some seem to work yet others don't when I merely drop in a .jpg file in the music folder. Do the pics need to be labeled something in particular? I can't seem to figure this out... Thanks!

6. bicycle62

bicycle62 New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    copy music from PC

any software? Do you just hook up the USB cable, and the phone shows as a device?

7. gPhunk

gPhunk New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    No software - Just hook it up via usb and go into your SD Card Folder via your PC. Drop music into the Music folder (already on the SD Card)

Friendly FYI - Don't rename or move any of the existing folders on your SD Card or your G1 won't read it correctly. I made this error when upgrading to a bigger card. Had to go back and recreate all of the folders to get it to read correctly

8. Four_Year_Strong

Four_Year_Strong New Member

Nov 2, 2008
    thanks a lot for all the responses, that helps a lot!!

My g1 is scheduled to arrive in 2 days :)

9. michaelMcT

michaelMcT New Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Does not work for me

I tried hooking up my gphone to my computer via a USB port so I could download some MP3 files. It did map a new removeable disk when I plugged the USB cable in but when I tried to access the drive it gave me a "Please insert Disk" message. I tried this on two different machines and received the same message - This was on Vista by the way.

10. ghoonk

ghoonk New Member

Nov 2, 2008
    That because you need to go to the Notifications menu, select USB Connected, then select Mount.

They introduced this in RC29 so that people on Enterprise machines would not get an annoying prompt for admin privileges to mount the drive every time it gets plugged in for charging.

11. v2iper

v2iper New Member

Dec 26, 2008
    where is this notification menu? i also run vista and this g1 phone about has me pulling my hair out...(im an old guy)..Only had the phone a week. Seems like this storage card works half the time and half the time it doen not. thank you

12. miro

miro New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    All of my album art shows up fine, but I don't store the images seperately, I add them as part of the ID3 tag of the actual mp3 file.