1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Music storage?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Weapondrift, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008

Sponsored Ad

So ive been trying to remove some space from my phone since I only have 3g left out of 28 *facepalm* but majority of my storage space is being taken up by Media. I can only consider this as being my music. With this said, is there:
    a) a anywhere I can store it and still have immediate access to it instead of dragging it back to my phone to play it?
    b) a place where the bejebus is my music stored?
    c) any options you might have for me that might save me some space?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Google Music...come on, you're better than this

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Personally, I would not buy a phone that has no storage other than the on-board memory. I can say that because there are still options out there. However, I think the drive to eliminate SD Cards from devices is a scheme to get users to do two things. First is for them to buy the device with the largest storage capacity (read = most expensive). Second is to have users make use of cloud storage schemes that may keep them in the manufacturer's grips. It also sets them up nicely for when they decide to start charging for storage space, destination, dealer prep, etc, etc..... Could also be handy when the government decides they want to tax it or have access to data for national security and the like.

Cynical? Yes, but I don't think it isn't for good reason.

Also, what if you want to listen to your music and you don't have a good connection or access to a WiFi signal? My gym has terrible reception and connecting to the cloud is not an option. What if you want to hear tunes and you are in the basement.......

I just don't like the way I see this stuff going, but I suppose someone will call me paranoid. You know what? Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't after you......

5. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Um..it is Google music -.-

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yea and you're the one not using it and having music storage problems :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Everything Android

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    But I am using it.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007

So then whats the problem?

9. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Its taking up my memory in my phone lol *facepalm*

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007

Google Music is cloud based, how is it taking up room on your phone? None of it is stored on your phone unless you set certain songs, albums or genres for offline listening.

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hmmmm... So you are indicating PEBCAK (except user is on mobile keyboard)

:ROFLMAO:

12. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    >.<

ok since I only have 3g left on my phone and my music is considered media (Right?) thats why i am confused *Facepalm*

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Whats confusing me is if you are using Google Music to stream music from the cloud to your phone, the songs aren't stored on your phone. They MIGHT have some temp files that are stored, those can be found at; data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music

Clear that out you should be good to go.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    hmm...interesting. See you make things so difficult! gawsh!

16. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Do you have any other music players on there? That would store music locally.

Scott... If all music is in cloud storage, and you do not have wi-fi or data (as in an airplane), how can you listen to music? I stopped using Google music because I couldn't edition tags without a pc.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    If you know you are going to be on a plane or something without Wi-Fi then you can set certain songs or albums for offline listening.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Everything Android

18. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks. I don't have that much music to warrant a problem with having it installed locally.

Sometimes, driving to get Bari brings us through areas where there is no service at all. No radio stations either, so I needed the music!

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1