1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

My G1

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by imported_mark, Oct 29, 2008.

1. imported_mark

imported_mark New Member

Oct 4, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I finally got back from my European business trip, while my G1 waited at the house 8 days for my return.

I have almost everything on from the first minute, all except BT. Playing music, sync mail and contacts, auto sync on, texting, IMing, tracking our trip to Chuy's Tex-Mex, e-mail, browsing, compass on, lots of GPS stuff, downloading apps -- all pretty much continuously from the time the box was open. Loaded 800MB of music on the SD card, successfully, the first time. I am down to about 10% battery life after 5 hours of continuous use. I am not surprised, this is not my first rodeo with smartphones. Physics and chemistry tells you you cannot due such things all the time and not drain the battery quickly.

The phone has done everything I expected, and my expectations were high. I now enter the world of deep-draining the battery, but as far as the phone is concerned, it has performed beautifully. I know I have only RC19, but I'm not going to hemorrhage over it.

I love my G1.

Mark

2. eroccia

eroccia New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    I love my g1 to. I have a hard time putting it down

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. imported_imported_dwp1975

Sep 27, 2008
    Out of curiosity, what phones are you guys coming from before the G1 and how does it stack up against them? I am a current iPhone and blackberry user and am interested in the g1 but not sure if I will be pleased or disappointed by it based on my current phones.

5. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Well, it's a tough question. The G1 is more iPhone than it's BlackBerry. The UI is nice and I think it'll only get better with time. The iPhone hardware is more slick than the G1. That in mind, with the G1 you're getting the open-ness of Android. For some, that might not matter. There are plenty of awesome iPhone apps, that many probably don't care that it's a closed system of sorts. I think in the coming months, we're going to see some really great apps for Android. For me, I'd really like to see a Sirius client and a Sling Player for Android. Both of will probably never see the light of day on the iPhone.

Like the iPhone, the web browser is the "real internet". It tooks some getting used to, but it's very nice. I find myself having to "unlearn" how I use a mobile device. With the G1, there is no multi-touch. Plus, you're dealing with hard keys, slide out keyboard and the touch screen. On the iPhone, it's all touch screen. Not that it's better or worse on the G1...it's just different.

What's great about the iPhone are the ties to iTunes, iCal, etc. Syncing is effortless. Movies and music are easily moved from desktop to your iPhone.

Android and the G1 are still rough around the edges, but it's a blast to use.

6. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Two things I love about the G1.

1. Notifications - New email, voicemail and SMS alerts appear at the top. Drag it down and you can select the alert. Let's say it's a new SMS message, you can go right to your SMS message. Same goes for email, voicemail, etc.
    2. Trackball - Love it. Definitely nice to roll through your emails. Apparently, it's the same used by RIM. The trackball really works well.

7. imported_imported_dwp1975

Sep 27, 2008
    Thanks Chris for the insightful answer, I was considering buying one today at lunchtime, but I need to see it and hold it in my hand first before commiting, I also am not fond of T-mobile either so that is another stumbling block. Is it possible to buy it full retail with no contract and then unlock it for AT&T? If so, then I may go ahead and buy one this weekend.

8. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    +1 on T-Mobile. I haven't had them since I rocked a Treo 180.:eek:

Right now, the unlock isn't a true unlock. Basically, it'll allow you to make calls. Data and the Android Market will not work. My plan is to break my T-Mobile contract if/when an unlock comes. I figure that between WiFi and EDGE, I'll be ok. T-Mobile coverage hasn't been particularly good in my house. Plus, I like the idea of moving my main cell phone to the "phone of choice" for the day. My other workaround is to set up call forwarding.

Not sure of the contract break fee -- I think it might be $200 or $250. That'll put me at $400-$450 for the G1, plus any related cost for unlocking.

I've heard people having issues with POP email. I channel most of my email through gMail, so haven't had a problem. I have my dot mac account hooked up also and haven't noticed any problems.

FYI: Battery life is not so great. Glass half full, you can replace it if you have a spare.

One other note, the keyboard is a bit disappointing. I have small hands and typing is not as easy as I'd like it to be for a QWERTY keyboard.

9. imported_imported_dwp1975

Sep 27, 2008
    You can purchase it outright for full retail with a flex plan and not have to worry about the ETF, won't save you much but atleast you can unlock and leave at anytime without bothering with T-mobile. Any idea when the white G1 is coming out, I like that one waaaaaaaaay better than the black. Also, I know the G1 isn't as stylish as the iPhone but is it really as dorky as the promo photos make it look?

10. imported_mark

imported_mark New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I am coming from a Treo 650. In 2G mode and no GPS, WiFi, the battery life is similar. So far, and it has been just a little over a week, I am not missing my much loved and used Treo.

I had everything on today, listened to music for 2 hours, did a little GPS playing about, e-mail, and some web, auto-sync everything, and was active with the phone most of the day. I got 10.75 hours out of the charge. Like the Treo, a little common sense goes a long way in extending battery life.

Mark