1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Mystery Files Galaxy S3

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by mwm10620, Aug 16, 2012.

1. mwm10620

mwm10620 New Member

Aug 16, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hello all, new to Android and this forum.

I purchased my new S3 16G about a month ago.
    When I go to Settings> Storage, it says I have just under 4G in "Miscellaneous files."
    I tap it and it only gives me a couple MB i can delete.

I have gone through the phone searching for files I can delete but nothing seems to make the number decrease and I can't think of anything that would take up that much space.

What and where are these mysterious files and can I delete them. I don't want a quarter of my storage taken up by these mystery files.

I appreciate any help on the subject

2. aggieman

Bronze

Mar 14, 2007
    Mine only shows about 1.7 gb most of which appears to be music synced to my phone by isyncr over wifi. It accounts for about 1.3. The other large items under miscellaneous are amazon mp3 which I assume is because this is where it's downloading my songs from cloud storage and also BeWeather which has about 50mb worth of animations it downloads upon installation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. mwm10620

mwm10620 New Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I put all my music on via an external sd card into the music player.
    It appears all the memory taken up is accounted for when you go into the miscellaneous tab, but when I go into it, it only shows 20 MB of the 4 GB.

Attached Files:

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am not an Android expert by any stretch, but is that where the OS system files would reside?

6. Are you the owner of the files you want to delete? or it came with the device?

7. mwm10620

mwm10620 New Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Im not really sure. all the bloatware and apps I downloaded myself are in the "apps" section of storage though. "System memory" is what is taking up the majority of the space. Could the OS be 4GB?