1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Naming the Droid

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by manic, Nov 30, 2009.

1. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009

Sponsored Ad

I just watched 2001. The Droid's red light totally reminded me of HAL. So I named my Droid Hal. I figured anything that I love this much deserves a name. Wondering if anyone has named their Droid?

2. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    When I'm using the gps i call it gypsy other than that i just call it "best phone ever made!" :dft010:big_smile aka DROID or iphone killa

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I copied of someone here by calling her "Sarah" like when Andy picks up the phone on Mayberry.

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i name all of my computer, network, and phone gear after star trek ships.

My Laptop = NCC-1701
    GF's Macbook = NX-2000
    Home Server = DS9
    Media PC = Risa (pleasure planet)
    Wii = Nexus (space ribbon of joy)
    Moto Q = NX-01
    GF's Ozone = NCC-74210 (Defiant class USS Valiant)
    Omnia = NCC-75633 (USS Sao Paulo, replacement for USS Defiant)
    Droid = NX-74205 (USS Defiant, lean, mean, fighting machine)

i know it's lame, but when you're working on a bunch of devices you gotta give 'em a naming scheme.

6. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    My home domain controllers were Sodom and Gomorrah but never named any of my other machines.
    IMHO since its a droid names like R4D2 or C5P0 seem appripriate.

7. slumlord

slumlord New Member

Oct 17, 2008
    a friend of mine named mine vader.

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    or in my case "Data"

9. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Was data called an android, I thought trek and wars were rivlas and Lucas had a copyright on the name.

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    first off, trek and wars are not rivals. stupid fans (like me) make them rivals because they have nothing better to do. i believe that there is a place in our hearts for both franchises. wars is cool and trek is brainy. and besides, trek is better.

second off, lucas does not own any rights to "android" he does own a trademark on "droid" though. which is why in every advertisement from verizon it says in the fine print, "used with permission from lucas films, ltd."

third off, yes, data is an android and was referred to as such all the time on the show.

11. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006

Designed and built by Doctor Noonien Soong, Data is a sentient android who serves as the second officer and chief operations officer aboard the starships USS Enterprise-D and USS Enterprise-E.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_(Star_Trek)

While the name "Droid" is obviously a contraction for "android," it is unfortunately trademarked by Lucas, however, the word "android" is a term used to describe a particular thing, generally, an automaton that resembles a human being.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define:android

12. tj!2k6

Bronze

Aug 7, 2006
    Ah, ya beat me to it while I was sourcing... lol

Edit: and even within the Trek movement there is rivalry, because some fans refuse to accept that Kirk > Picard. :dft011:tounge_out

13. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    dude, i am THE source for all things trek.

and even though i believe tng > tos, i have to agree the kirk > picard. all you have to do is watch the ending to generations when picard gets his ass kicked and kirk saves the day, again.

14. toosmoove

toosmoove New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I named mine "The Shit".

15. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    hahahaha. nice. and fitting also.