1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

New Android user - phone advice

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by AbuZilif, Sep 8, 2012.

1. AbuZilif

AbuZilif New Member

Sep 8, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hey all,

Been an iPhone owner for four years but I'm making the Android switch in the next couple of weeks. I'm having trouble deciding on hardware and hoping I might be able to get some opinions.

I'm on AT&T and not interested in dropping b/c I'm still on unlimited data, so my choices are basically:

1) Unlocked Galaxy Nexus - love the phone (have played with a friend's), stock Jelly Bean looks awesome, like the flexibility of buying off-contract, but worried about hardware and speed. Lack of SD slot is not really a thing I'm concerned about.

2) Galaxy S3 - Obviously awesome hardware and speed but didn't like the feel of the phone as much as I hoped, and not sold on TouchWiz. Some nice features on it but being new I'm not sure how much it detracts from Android or how much I'd be able to tweak stock Android.

3) HTC One X - haven't looked at it much but I'm open to it, looks like a nice piece of hardware

Would love to hear people's thoughts on pros and cons for these. I'm leaning towards the Nexus but not sure if that's a mistake given that it's older, etc.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You can't go wrong with option 1 or 2. I have a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and love it, I am a fan of the pure Google Experience, however, the GSIII is a solid phone too.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Sooty73

Sooty73 New Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Over the HTC, I'd stay with your other choices. As mentioned the S3 is a good phone with some great features and an easier UI, haven't looked at the nexus but have heard some good reports.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Everything Android

5. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    You can always replace TouchWiz with another launcher. Many on the market both free and bumped with premiums. It's Android, you can replace everything.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

6. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    A word to you my friend! I have iPhone4 as well as SGS3 which replaced Samsung Galaxy Nexus but there is just no basis for compare. The S3 beats everything hands down but if you were to hold on,may be iphone 5 will come with new promises.

7. mikearnill

mikearnill New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I have iPhone5 smartphone device. This device offers a larger screen, 4G connectivity. This device is world's thinnest phone and its launched by Apple.

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Can't imagine how you can have it since it has not yet shipped.....

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Not sure if trolling.....

Like Steve said you CAN'T have the iPhone5 becuase it doesn't ship until 9/21. The screen is larger than the last iPhone but small than all new HTC, Samsung, and Motorola devices out there. Most phones are now shipped with 4G now...yawn. And it is NOT the worlds thinnest phone, some will say Motorola RAZR (7.1mm) but then argue the back of the device bumps out so it doesn't count, however there is a ZTE Android device that is 6.7mm thick. So the only thing you got right (like Apple at their 'event') was that it was made by Apple.

Carry on...

• Like Like x 2
  10. mikearnill

mikearnill New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    First I tell you sorry because I am just thinking about iPhone5 that's why I write here but I have iPhone4 so its my mistake I accept it. Thanks for sharing this information about iPhone5 I like it when it launched I replace this phone.

11. loustewart

loustewart Member

Jun 4, 2012
    The second option would be much ideal one than the other two. The S3 if far better than the nexus or HTC one x in terms of performance.

12. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
  13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Looks impressive, but do you know why that would be unlikely to hit the US market? Why only Asia?

14. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    my guess would be that apple will do everything in it's power to stop it. apple is the new hitler of phone mfg's

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
  16. Erick Kincaid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2011
    Well, i would like to recommend you to go with Samsung or HTC. Because their hardware are well designed.

17. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    It's like HTC in Korea. They'd need to establish a strong marketing force and still plan losses while they work through cultural kinks. Just not worth the effort.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2