1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

New Look for the Site?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and Help' started by stevetaz, Feb 10, 2014.

1. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008

Sponsored Ad

New colors, some new icons, new format.....I like it so far......

• Like Like x 1
  2. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    A complete redesign. There are a few minor tweaks to make, but this is month's of work. It was rolled out on iCafe and now bring to everything Android. Colors have always been a struggle with this site. Green is appropriate, but the hardest color to work with. I think I've found a color that works well with links, which is key to user experience.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The site looks great, I am digging the updated colors, icons, avatar circles, etc.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    As I said, I like it! I am sure the naysayers will be along shortly though...LOL

6. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Good thing I kept the ban button!

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hmmm....Where did I put that? I know it is around here somewhere.....

Ban Key.gif

8. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I'm still waiting for an assembly of folks with pitchforks?

Now that we have these fancy new digs, it be nice to see a little surge in activity and new users.;)

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Here 'ya go...
    upload_2014-2-12_10-21-58.png

10. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I haven't opened this site on my pc in ages, so I don't know what the re-do looks like. When I couldn't get on here from Tapatalk, I opened the browser on the tablet, but it was set to the mobile site...

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hey Chris....I just tried the site using my phone and it seems odd. Using both the built-in browser and Chrome all I see is the home page. No links to the forums or anything else. Manually entering forums.everythingandroid.org brought up the new version and it looks excellent on the phone too. All the links appear at the top and all looks normal.

Intentional?

12. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Why are some posts in the forums highlighted and others aren't? That's the only thing I ever really get frustrated about. Icons that aren't explained or why 2 out of 14 lines are highlighted, etc. colors look fine on iPad but as always there's several icons that I don't know what they mean and now some new shading. And it ain't exactly like I'm a newbie round these parts.....lol

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi Bob....I don't recall seeing the highlighted lines. Can you post a screen shot?

Which icons are you having questions about?

#12 stevetaz, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  14. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    • So on the front forum page, some forums have a little green android icon and some are grey. What's the difference?
    • Below each topic, there's two icons that look like the old cloud thoughts from the Family Circle cartoons with numbers by them. They have to be something about replies, etc., but there's no explanation?
    • Some topics have a pair of purple handcuffs by them. Guessing those are topics I've posted in, because the icon to the left has my avatar as a small superimposed image, but I don't understand a handcuffs icon. Maybe it's a motorcycle. I can't tell. Hover says watched--just don't get the association to the icon. Maybe they are purple glasses???
    • Push-pins are self-explanatory as far as keep this thread at the top I think.
    • The only icons that have a hover associated with them are the ones that toggle the sidebar, which is a weird choice because that's almost universally now a menu/options choice for apps, and the one that looks like the old LAN networking icon which is quick navigation. Home is self-explanatory of course.
    • Requested screen capture below:
    Untitled-1.fw.png

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    • Icon is green when there are new posts. Gray when nothing new posted.
    • I recall seeing the clouds, but I don't see any now. May relate to new posts so I have to wait. I have read everything. I don't see the clouds in your screenshot.
    • While they may look like handcuffs, I believe they are glasses. That means you are watching the thread. May be you opted to watch or you posted and by default you watch threads you post in.
    • Push pin means a sticky topic.
    • Could your last bullet have something to do with the device you are using to view the site? I am on a laptop and every icon I hover over does pop up with a clue including the eyeglasses-Watched, the push pin-Sticky, a lock -Locked Thread, etc.

16. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Steve,

Thanks for the information. I waited longer on the hover and I do see them show up now. They appear to take a few/several seconds to trigger. I was on a laptop before and am now on a desktop. Same behavior. I guess I didn't wait long enough before. I always design my hovers to trigger more quickly. 6 of 1 1/2 dozen of another deal.
    Green/Grey is New vs. None...ok...that makes sense....
    glasses....ok...
    The screenshot wasn't meant to show the clouds, it was showing the highlighting of some threads. Didn't know why some are highlighted and some aren't.
    New screenshot below shows the clouds.
    From a curiosity standpoint, why does a thread get locked?
    Untitled-1.fw.png

17. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I looked closer and saw the clouds. I believe the values you see represent the number of threads in that forum and the number of replies.

Threads are locked by Mods when we have a bad day.....Kidding....We lock threads to prevent postings for a variety of reasons. Main one I see is when spammers start to target a particular thread repeatedly, especially if the thread is very old.

18. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks Steve. Appreciate the information.

19. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    The purple icon is a pair of binoculars.

20. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Showoff....Your eyes are obviously better than ours.....

21. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I wish! I now need reading glasses over my contact lenses!

I opened full site on phone and ZOOMED! IN!