1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

New Mobile Site

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and Help' started by chris, Aug 31, 2012.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Good news on many of mobile site here at everythingAndroid. I've just completed work on a major redesign of the mobile site for the blog. Now when you read news, articles – you'll be treated to a streamlined look that focuses on the content. There are some slick features for mobile devices. Tap a photo and you'll have a slideshow for all photos on the page. You can then 'x' out to get back to the page. There are comments, just like the big site.

Not to be left out, there is a new mobile site for the forums. Sure we've got the free everything Android app (which might be due for a big update sometime soon), but now there is a mobile template. To activate, click on the link at the bottom left of the page. That will bring up the template selector where you can go between desktop and mobile.

That's it. Two new mobile templates, both that will make your time here on the eA blog and eA forums all the more enjoyable.

As always, feedback is welcome, especially if it's good feedback. :D

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Awesome work Chris!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Chris, the new home page is fast and looks clean. However, the page includes no links except facebook, google and twitter on the bottom. Links like to get to the forums or the store are absent. Once there you are unable to go anywhere else.

Is that by design?

5. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Guess you are referring to the mobile side right? I'm going to add a link to 'Forums'. I can create a direct link, so it'll be a page that will provide a link to the forum, along with a link to the app in the Google Play Store.

Still messing around with it. I think it's an improvement over showing the full site and our previous mobile site.

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Not to be the sole dissenter, but perhaps to be the sole dissenter....:(
    I do not personally like the mobile template. Everything requires you to scroll to the bottom of the page to see what you selected. May work great on a phone, but (for me), I dislike it immensely on the iPad.
    I can not find this template selector you reference. Can you post a screen cap as to where it is, or detailed instructions. I can't find anything like it on my iPad layout.

7. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    This is probably all going to sound contrary but I don't mean it that way.
    Since the iPad layout is not showing a way to switch back to the full site template, I have spent a few minutes looking around the mobile site. I can appreciate that you spent some time building it and I'm sure the community appreciates those efforts. I'd like to offer a few comments.
    • On a mobile site with limited view space, why does *every*single* page have a rather large banner declaring everythingandroid? On the forum, the header says "Mobile Site" and has two indistinguishable icons that look like a calendar on each side. Isn't it obvious that this is a mobile site? Does screen space need to be taken on every page to proclaim that? What's with an icon that when tapped says custom links?
    • If you go to a direct bookmark of forums and then hit HOME, you go to a news page. There's no menu. No way to get back to forums other than back, no links to store or anything else. If you hit this page directly, you'd never find anything--there are no links!!
    • I can understand having F, G T links internal to each article listed on the main page, but on the front page, below one line of text from the story? And then not internal to the story itself? Seems rather backwards. and takes a lot of main screen space.
    • If I figure out how to get to anywhere else on the site, I'll post my thoughts (presuming I'm not banned first ;) , but right now I'm completely marooned.
    Again, I apologize if I come across as contrary. I am being honest in that in my personal opinion, the mobile site leaves a lot to be desired and is very limiting. I can't speak to the previous one as I never used it, because the desktop one worked fine across my iPad. A personal peeve is sites that force me to their desire of how information should be shared verses allowing me to make my own choice.

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    See post #3, above. You are not alone with the navigation....

9. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Has anyone found the 'switch' to the non-mobile template and how to activate it???

10. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Anyone???? Mods?

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry Bob, but I can't help you. I don't see the link Chris mentioned at the bottom left to toggle between the mobile and regular site.

I navigated to the site on my phone and it decided for me that I want to use the mobile site. I too am annoyed with that process.

We will have to wait for Chris to reply unless Scott has an idea......Perhaps a PM to Chris?

12. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    that's my point. there is NO link/button/etc. At lest not on the ipad.

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Yes Bob, I got that point....

14. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Could this be browser specific? I personally use Tapatalk for the forums here, but I just went to "open in browser". These are the screenshots I took. Looks like full site (?)...

In my browser settings, I just set it to "view as desktop"....

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sherri baby, you rock!

I went into the Browser Settings and unselected the Mobile View and the full site came up on my HTC.

Bob, can you try something like that with your iToy?

Still doesn't resolve why the link that is supposed to be there isn't though.........

16. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Thats all I did too, hit the settings button in Chrome and hit 'Request Desktop Site' and I can navigate. However, I suppose that defeats the purpose of the mobile site.

I do not see any links either when mobile, so maybe Chris can chime in.

17. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Glad to help, Steve!

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

18. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Possibly? Safari on an ipad doesnt have that option. Wasn't an issue until this last set of changes.

19. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I tried this in Atomic on the iPad, which does have the identify browser as settings. Selecting anything for IE briefly brings up the full site home screen, then blanks it and shows nothing. More than likely, there's a CSS problem in the templates somewhere. Was able to get it to be visible as desktop site by identifying it as desktop safari.

20. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I've removed the forced redirect. Going forward, you can access the mobile template using the link in the bottom left footer, where it says eA.

21. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Thank you thank you!!!! Much better!!! much appreciated!!!