1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

New owner, unlock question

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by pasmith, Nov 28, 2009.

1. pasmith

pasmith New Member

Nov 28, 2009

Sponsored Ad

I just bought my droid last Wednesday and so far I'm loving it.

I do have one problem though. I'm a big podcast fan and I installed Car Cast Podcast Player, which seems like a great app except for one thing. While I'm in the car listening, the Droid will lock itself. Now if I want to pause and rewind, or skip forward, or basically do anything, I have to hit the power button on top, and then unlock the Droid. Doing this while driving feels a little dicey to me.

I did some traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday and was using the GPS feature and that kept the Droid "live" all the time it was in use.

Is there a way to force the Droid to stay awake like that, no matter what app is running?

I don't have the auto cradle yet (it wasn't in-stock when I bought the Droid from Best Buy) -- I'm wondering if that maybe will do what I want. I did buy a car charger so I'm not worried about battery life in the care. I just want the display always on so I have as little distraction as possible while driving.

2. pasmith

pasmith New Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Hmm, actually, maybe I just solved this... if I set Screen Timeout to Never I think it'll do what I want?

So new question. Has anyone seen a Widget that exposes the Screen Timeout setting in an easier to use format? Like a toggle?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. pasmith

pasmith New Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Me again. I found an app called KeepScreen that lets you select certain applications and, while the KeepScreen service is running, it keeps the screen from locking while those applications are running. I'm going to give it a try.

5. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Screen Mode Widget does this as well.

6. bheidemann

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    I didnt have any luck with the screen mode widget. When I put the droid in the car dock the widget froze.

How did KeepScreen work out for you?

7. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    The screen mode widget seems to work fine for me in the car dock, did freeze up when i first had it uninstalled it and installed again issue resolved :dft010:big_smile

8. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    I have KeepScreen installed and it works great so far IMO.

Another option is to set the screen to stay awake when you activate car mode via the menu. Or if you don't want to buy the car dock and have to hit the car mode button head to radio shack and grab a tiny earth magnet. Put it on the battery back when in the car right by the notch on the battery door and it will put the device into car mode. If car mode doesn't pop up just flip the battery over and it will. depending on which way you put the battery on the battery back it will change mode between home dock or car mode.