1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW PHONE!

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Mar 19, 2013.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Not by choice.
    Allie the youngest of the fluffy butts that roam the house, took a header into the pool
    Which means Daddy took a dive to save her short-legged add trying to claw her way out
    Daddy was fully clothed, including wallet, phone, etc.
    So after rescuing and drying off and calming down Allie....
    Luckily, Best Buy had a Galaxy Nexus in stock
    Which is now in my possession after and exchange of plastic and being set back up...

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Ouch!
    Hope all is well with the fluffy one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Everything Android

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Yeah...she's ok. It does pose a problem watching them in the back yard. That's twice now. the first time was willing to say accident....second time says dumb ass <G>

5. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    You know something that was really neat / scary? I walked into the house, coming back from Best Buy and my phone connected to my WiFi. Looking at my phone and the networks list, the workplace, the doctor's office, my mother's house, etc...they were all listed. Places this phone has never been.

Which means Google stores all of your network access, including passwords....in the cloud.

Now maybe ya'll already knew that, but I did not.

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    So Best Buy did not do any kind of restoration of contacts, settings, etc when you got the new phone?

Google's path to world domination continues.....

7. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Nope. They couldn't. Phone was toast and sitting on my kitchen counter at home. Didn't even bring it with me.

(I never worry about my contacts, since they're in Exchange.)

8. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Did Best Buy cover that under Geek Squad or did you have to shell out for a new phone?

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Since he said he didn't even bring the old one with him to Best Buy I am going to guess Bob was happy to shell out the cash for a new one. Hmmmm....Do they give you the contract price and extend the contract or does one have to pay full price, but continue under an existing contract?

So many questions......

10. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    My old Nexus was purchased at VZW and that line wasn't elegible for an upgrade yet. So I used my wife's business line and upgraded on her phone. So it became free for the phone, althogh this time I shelled out for the replaement plan.

I'm never "happy" about shelling out cash, but there are things you have to do...food, car, top-notch phone, etc...;) (30 doctor's visits...)

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    QUESTION: I keep walking out of the building and back in and my new phone keeps going to 4G and not reconecting to the building wireless when I return. I should just stop walking out of the building, but for the long-ter fix, how do I change that. Isn't that a setting somewhere?

12. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Maybe it's the don't use WiFi unless good connection item?? I turned that off. building strength is only 2 bars but it has never been a problem.

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Oh...and I went to BB specifically because VZW (at least here) no longer carries them and the local BB had one left in stock according to to searching their inventory aross the web. So I walked in and said give it to me. They protested that thy een had suh an "old phone". I asked them to check. They came back shocked that they had one and we were off to the races from there.

Got Touchdown to regen my key and I was at least above moinimal functional level.

Lost my damn ringtones and such tho....

14. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    QUESTION: Can I use a separate email notification sound for Gmail and Exchange? I know where to set a sound in TouchDown. Can I set a different one in Gmail and how?

15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    OBSERVATION: Settings, Security, Owner Info.
    displays text in a rolling banner on the home screen even when locked. I just set it to say ICE: and call <spouse> @ <home> or <cell>
    Works better than any of he ICE applications which don't work worth a cr@p with lock screens.

Not sure how long that's been in there, but new to me!

16. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    ok. break time over....everyone back on your heads!

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007

Open the Gmail App and go in to settings, you can change the tone there.

18. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Kewl...now I just have to find new tones I like. lost then when the old phone went swimming. Don't remember what they were called to download from Zedge.

19. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Scotty--afraid I'm brain dead...Can't find where. Can you maybe lead me a little more to the water please? <G>

20. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007

Open Gmail
    Hit the 3 dots
    Settings
    Click the email address you want to change
    Click 'Inbox sound & Vibrate'
    Hit Sound and you are on your way

21. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    thanks...that's what I was missing...I did general settings, not the email address settings!

Thanks again!