1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Android

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by lou61166, Feb 26, 2011.

1. lou61166

lou61166 New Member

Feb 26, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Hi all i am going to purchase an LG Optimus V,Android Version 2.2,Virgin MobilPhone,does anybody know of a good guide to Root it,i want to try and overclock it.Thanks

2. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    are you familier with what overclocking does? I only ask out of concern that you potentially might break your phone. Overclocking deals with processor speed, NOT the time clock.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. lou61166

lou61166 New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Of course i do, i build and fix computers and networks for a living.i am new to Android,but not to computers. I am degreed in Microsoft Desktop and Server OS,Linux,and Cisco.

5. I8qbert

Bronze

Aug 24, 2008
    Rooting is stupid simple. U can do it in 5 min. Just search for it. I would not recommend overclocking.

Sent from my Droid

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
  7. lou61166

lou61166 New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks for the info and link,one question if something goes wrong with the install will i be able to recover back to factory,or will i be stuck with a bricked paper weight.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    There is usually a way to fix it if something goes wrong with the steps above. While you could brick the phone, its highly unlikely from rooting.

9. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Ok, i just had check :)
    I have come across others who thought that overclocking had to do with the speed of the time clock. :shocked:

10. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Overclocking/Unlocking

IIRC, make sure your kernel & ROM match, read XDA thoroughly, sometimes RADIO also matters but is noted in the thread. If the phone starts to get hot hot, pull the battery, cool and maybe flash base ROM. From my experience, base ROMs tend to have safe limits whereas custom kernels take things up a notch into dangerous at your own risk territory.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

11. ausarjamaal

ausarjamaal New Member

May 22, 2011
    K I'm new to all of this. What is the benefit to rooting? I have an EVO 3d n i have a metro indulge. Can some one explain what rooting is?

Sent from my PG86100 using Everything Android

12. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    With the source code to ICS released, the first advantage to root would be CM9 :D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I am quite excited to get some CM9 before I get my Galaxy Nexus