1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

New x2

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by kirKauai, May 2, 2011.

1. kirKauai

kirKauai New Member

May 2, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Hello all, I'm new to both Android phones and eA. Finally made the switch from Windows Mobile. Being new to the Android OS and the forums any suggestions, pearls of wisdom and patience with my ignorance is appreciated.

sent from my Thunderbolt

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Welcome to eA!!

Be sure to download our app from the Market!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. kirKauai

kirKauai New Member

May 2, 2011
    Thanks. I have. Any other tips?

sent from my Thunderbolt

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What do you want to know? :)

6. kirKauai

kirKauai New Member

May 2, 2011
    I read a lot about 'rooting' Android phones, but I really don't know much about it...what it is; pros & cons; how to do it. Is there a good source of information?

Are there any general 'rules of thumb' with Android phones, kind of an idiots guide or do's & don'ts?

sent from my Thunderbolt

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    For rooting your phone look read up here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1005292

Rooting allows you to change your romantic, overclock, undeclock, remove crapware from Verizon... ummm and many many other things. We have a few threads on rooting here.

Rule of thumb.... read read read, if you follow directions you will be golden. Most things can be undone if you mess up, main one that can't is changing radios, if you mess that up you are in deep in trouble. But you shouldn't need to mess with that right now.

If you do root, you will lose the ability to get carrier updates but that's necessarily I bad thing.

If you have questions about anything specific be sure to ask away.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

8. kirKauai

kirKauai New Member

May 2, 2011
    n99Hockey, thank you! I appreciate the link to XDA. I will take a look at it, so know your efforts are not wasted. I am very pleased with this forum...the sharing of knowledge and the discussions by people of all levels is awesome!

sent from my Thunderbolt

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    No worries, it's what we do here.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

10. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Welcome. One suggestion I would have on rooting is get to know your device first. No need to be in a huge hurry to do it. Learn how things function, and it will benifit you greatly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android

• Like Like x 1
  11. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    if you would like additional info you can also click on my signature.

*tisk tisk n99hockey, here was your chance to pimp me out :D