1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Question About Exchange Server Sync

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by ScottQ9c, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Sep 5, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I'm currently a WinMo user (Motorola Q9c). It's been a great phone, but it's time for something new. I'm considering a Droid.

One thing the WinMo phone does very well is keep my e-mail, contacts and calendar synced with my desktop PC via an Exchange server. If I put a new calendar entry into my phone, it appears on my desktop within a minute or two, and vice-versa. Email arrives on my desktop and on my phone virtually simultaneously.

Will the Droid work similarly? Do its native email, calendar and contact apps sync with an Exchange server?

Thanks for the help folks!

Scott

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Should work with an exchange server. If you use Google calendars and contacts, show up immediately. If you are using Outlook, it must be an exchange account. Droid also can do POP3 and IMAP emails.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    yes Scott, i use an exchange account on my phone and it works great, just like on my Q's

5. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Sherri: Please forgive me if this is a stoopid question, but I know very little about the "nuts and bolts" of the Android at this point. What does it come with as far as email, calendar and contacts programs (apps?) are concerned?

I have a hosted Exchange server that I use with the WinMo phone, and it works great. I want to replicate that, somehow, on the Droid. I'm of the philosophy to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and don't need anything fancy. I simply want to get my emails quickly and be sure that my calendar and contacts stay synced.

Thanks, Sherri!

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    it cant get easier
    plug in your user name, exchange domain, exchange address, password, what you want sync'd and your done

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    As n99hockey stated, the Droid works well with the Exchange Servers. (Both of us came from Moto Q's as well...he had the Q9c, I had the original...)

When I got the Droid (I don't have an exchange server), I just entered my POP3 accounts into the "Email Set up". From the "native" app, you can set up quite a few accounts. (I have 2). I also have a Gmail account, which is where I have all my contacts.

I keep my calendar info on Google, and it syncs back and forth to the phone flawlessly. If you use Outlook Exchange, this should work as well. Where do you have contacts now?

8. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    What does Android use to handle email, calendar, contacts, etc.?

Thanks Scott (for your help here and on the Q9c forum as well)

9. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I use the Q9c's WinMo 6.1 contact manager (or whatever it's called). Whatever came with the phone, or WinMo 6.1, that's what I use.

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    the native app as sherri said
    just open the 'mail' widget on the main screen and follow the setup instructions

11. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Perfect! My thanks to both of you! Off to buy a new phone. I'll miss my Q9c...it's been a workhorse and very reliable.

12. Peregrine

Peregrine New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yea, I missed my WinMo Ozone after I got a Droid... for about 2 minutes!!!
    I am the IT Manager at my job... we now have 6 Droids synching flawlessly with Exchange.

13. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Just talked to my Verizon rep, and she told me that Verizon will be getting possibly two new Droid phones shortly. A bit of research online revealed that a Droid X and a Droid 2 are in Verizon's pipeline and an announcement will be made about them possibly as early as tomorrow. My rep advised that I wait and see what is being announced, and go with the "latest and greatest." Good advice, I thought.

Stay tuned...

14. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Def a good idea to wait..probably July 2 for the Droid x

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android app

15. Peregrine

Peregrine New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Honestly I would NOT wait and would get the Incredible. It is really really nice.
    When I said I have 6 Droids synching with Exchange I SHOULD have said 5 Droids and an Incredible.
    I got a Droid because I demand a physical keyboard. ;)
    After test driving SWYPE and playing with Voice Recognition for "typing" texts and email.... I don't need no stinking keyboard. lol But I won't complain. I adore my Droid. But the Incredbile is super sexy. Slim. Light. Super fast (at least twice as fast as Droid). Did I mention it is small?
    Anyone else amused that phones kept getting smaller and smaller and smaller... now the DroidX get's larger? I much prefer small which is why I would recommend the Incredible as the must-have Droid currently out with VZW or coming out in the next few months.
    Just my humble opinion.