1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie questions about android

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Salil Surendran, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Salil Surendran

Bronze

Aug 24, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Hello Friends,
    I recently replaced my iPhone with a Droid Charge and several questions about it:
    1. Location Services: I noticed that if I leave my 'Standalone GPS Services' in my 'Location Services' on then the GPS is switched on all the time and it drains battery power. But if I switch it off then whenever I enter the navigation app it takes to 'Location Services'. Shouldn't it be automatically switching it on/off as needed?
    2. USB Charging: Whenever I charge it from my computer using the mini-USB cable it charges extremely slowly almost at 1% every 15 minutes whereas from a power plug or a car charger it is much faster. What can I do to speed this up?
    3. I liked the text input in the iPhone a lot better where the auto-suggested word would appear near the word being typed. I don't like Swype either. Are there any other text input methodologies that I could use or install which would mimic the iPhone?
    4. How can I set it up such that apps are updated automatically?
    5. I have 4G LTE service. Are there people who are using this as a home internet. What has been their experience with a 5 GB data cap?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Nope, you got to turn it on manually

Make sure if the PC is a laptop it is plugged in to the wall, its not drawing enough power.

There are quite a few other keyboards out there, Swiftkey is another good one. Search the market and try different ones. I prefer Swype on my phone and Swiftkey on my tablet.

Check the box 'automatically update' for each app you have

I dont have a LTE device (yet) but it gives really good speeds, depending your area I guess. I am still not personally sold on using a phone hotspot as my home internet.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Let me add these questions:

I currently have a Mac Air with Lion OS and sync my iPhone with Outlook using iTunes on Windows 7 (via Parallels) because the Mac version of iTunes doesn't let me sync with Outlook. I'm planning on changing my iPhone for an HTC EVO or a Samsung Galaxy S2 either one on Sprint. I don't sync with iCal or other Mac apps like Notes.

Is there an app or something that lets me sync all my info to my new phone like I do with iTunes? I need to sync my Notes, Calendar, and Contacts to Outlook.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Gmail does all that...no need for outlook
    If you dont want to switch to that, check out DoubleTwist, I think that does what you want too

6. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I use gmail also for my email but I've got everything else with Outlook already so I'll need something for Outlook or I'll have to stay with iPhone for now. I checked Double Twist, thanks, but that only copies music and pictures, no contacts, notes or calendar.

It doesn't have to be on Mac OS either since I'm using the Windows 7 versions of iTunes and Outlook. That might make it easier to find an app that'll do it for the HTC or Samsung, hopefully.

7. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Dejaoffice maybe something that might help you

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android

8. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ok I found it on iTunes so I'll take a look to see how it works on the iPhone and if it moves everything then it might just be what I need to move everything to the HTC or Samsung. Thank !

9. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Just checked Dejaoffice and it was deja vu for me ! I had tried their free 14 day trial when I moved everything from PALM TREO to iPhone and it kept leaving data missing. That's how I got to Outlook to begin with. It also costs $49 !! I'm going to try the Google Calendar/Gmail combo to see if I can get it all moved. Thanks anyway for the option.

• Like Like x 1