1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Don16.4, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Don16.4

Don16.4 New Member

Jul 24, 2013

Sponsored Ad

Hello Everybody !

I've long been an iOS fan for many years and am new to Android and the HTC One.

Since I've bought it, I would like the experienced people here on this forum to help me out with some issues.

1) I like the multitasking bar as I believe its fairly efficient at getting things done and it provides a much better experience than the multitasking on iOS 6 or even 7. My only qualm is that is their any way that I can kill all running apps at once ?! The Samsung Galaxy S4 has a kill all button in its multitasking bar so I was wondering is their HTC equivalent ?!

2) My notification drawer is fairly empty, I was wondering if anyone would be as kind as to suggest some good apps / widgets ?!

Thank You and I appreciate anyone taking their time to help me !

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Welcome to eA and to Android...
    1) I am not aware of any way to kill all running apps in the HTC One. I have a Galaxy S3 and frankly I have never used the kill all apps feature. May I ask why you are interested in having this ability? Are you finding the device to be running slow or something?

You might be able to find that function if you root and install a custom ROM, but I really don't know what would be gained in the long run. Android manages memory pretty well.

2) This is really wide open and should depend on your interests and need. Is there any particular category you might be interested in like games, utilities, etc?

I have seen very good reports and comments about Notification Toggle and one of the comments is that anyone with an HTC One should use this app. You can take a look here. Let us know if you agree with the comments. My Samsung device has this built-in and I will say I do find it handy and use it frequently.

I highly recommend Nova Launcher to enhance your smartphone experience. It was recommended to me and they were right (thanks Weapondrift and Scott). Start with the free version (linked) and you may well move to the paid version quickly.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Don16.4

Don16.4 New Member

Jul 24, 2013
    1) I just find it considerably easier to close all apps and not to mention its more efficient ! I think custom ROMs are good and everything and yield terrific functionality for the device but I personally don't think its for me !

2) My notification drawer seems so empty, its just toggles and 1 line for the calendar and a large black empty space. I think the empty real estate could house better information. the Notification Toggle app was probably the first app I installed and I love it !

Seeing as yourself I wondering if yourself can help me out with the following, I have a friend who is a massive iPhone 5 fan, she extremely criticized me for purchasing the HTC, so I was wondering can anyone give me any comebacks (Although I know a few, the more, the merrrier) with regards why the HTC One, sense 5 and Android is better than the iPhone 5 and iOS.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    1) When you say it is more efficient, what makes you think that? The Android OS is designed to have apps running and as memory or processor power is needed the OS makes the adjustments. Have you personally experienced issues with apps running that can point us to help understand why you believe it to be more efficient? Not sure what you mean by more efficient.

2) Without rooting I am not sure what else is available to change the Notifications area. I don't have an HTC One so I can't play with it to test. That area is supposed to be reserved for notifications like when email arrives, texts, appointments, etc. My weather app also posts warnings about storms, changes in conditions, etc. It is not your home screen so you aren't looking at it constantly, are you? Sometimes mine is full and other times it is pretty empty. That is what it should be I think.

If your HTC does what you need, has the design you like and the price that fit your budget then that is usually the best "comeback". Because your friend is convinced she is right means nothing and expending effort to change another's mind when they are completely invested in something is truly a waste of time. If she believes you have erred by not buying an iPhone there isn't much you can say that will make any kind of an impression. Don't waste your time and effort.

If she has to work so hard to prove the iPhone is so great perhaps she needs to get out more......

Simply use your device, enjoy it and she will probably tire of the game. You should not try to prove the HTC is better either. They are both fine devices and operating systems. She chose Apple and you chose Android. End of story.

6. FredGayle

FredGayle New Member

Oct 26, 2013
    This information provided by you is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If you mean me, thanks. If not, sorry....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    Don, i own both and frankly speaking iPhone 5 and Htc One are world apart!
    I honestly cannot say which is better than the other. I like the beautiful smaller size iphone running ios 7 but do prefer Htc when watching video and transferring files.