1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Nexus 10 (16Gb) completely bricked

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Bo Stern, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Bo Stern

Bo Stern New Member

Nov 24, 2012

Sponsored Ad

- Steps to reproduce the problem.

I have seen a couple of other freeze ups from time to time, rather randomly, in various apps, not just Chrome.
    In this case, I clicked the "All Apps" button in the lower right corner, and it froze.

- What happened.

The system froze, and then the screen went black. Now I am completely unable to restart the tablet. I does not matter how long I hold down the power button, either alone or combined with the volume up/down, it remains bricked. While connected to USB, it will show the battery charging icon in the middle of screen every 10 seconds (stays on for ~3 seconds) while I'm holding down the power button.

As of now the tablet is basically dead.

The tablet was running Android 4.2.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Have you tried it
    1. unplugged from USB and power button
    2. power button and only vol up OR power button vol down
    2a. your description made it sound like you were holding both

I dont think its bricked if you can see the charging icon when plugged in.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. bstern

bstern New Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Thanks.

Turns out that the issue was that when the Nexus-10 battery is completely depleted, then a laptop usb port is not sufficient to power the tablet. It will have to recharge for a while from a wall power outlet, before pressing any combination of keys for any duration has any kind of effect. This is different from other mobile phones and tablets I've owned (which still can boot based on the power from a laptop usb even if battery is at 0%), so I jumped to the "brick" conclusion too fast.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Glad to hear that. I had an issue like that were I had a outlet plug that didnt give off enough power for my Nexus7, but did for my phone. The charge icon came up but just never could get it moving, changed to a different chord and bam was good to go.