1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Nexus 7 Android 4.3

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by n99hockey, Jul 25, 2013.

1. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Any Nexus 7 owners get the OTA yet?

I couldn't wait and flashed the OTA to my Nexus this morning. Haven't had a ton of time to mess with it but seems pretty snappy. Not many changes, more under the hood things, but I like new updates. :)

2. imarichard55

imarichard55 New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    You just couldnt wait!!!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. pekspro

pekspro New Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Is it safe to run OTA if the device has been rooted?

5. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    No

Sent from my Nexus 4

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You can flash the OTA (assuming you havent made any system changes or running a custom ROM), it will unroot your device though.

If you have made system changes you need to either undo those changes or flash the factory image (which will wipe your device and of course remove root access).

7. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Thought about saying the same thing but then decided the safe presumption that the OP also infers limited ability to discern whether system changes were made.

Therefore personally I recommend avoiding OTA as the first step. Given that this would also revoke root, safest then to flash to factory, then do OTA.

Sent from my Nexus 4

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Agreed.

And actually a day after flashing the OTA I decided to just start over and flash the factory image, wanted a fresh start.

9. rockdenim

rockdenim New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Samsung and HTC google edition phones are still controlled by flagship companies. So these mobiles are at the mercy of the flagship companies. Google wont release OTA for these devices. it is percieved the wrong way.

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What are you talking about? The carriers contract to distribute phones and since they subsidize (in the USA at least) the phones, they own 'em. and control them. Manufacturers sell lots of phones. Part of the deal is that carriers also dictate what OS version touches their precious networks. They require any OS to be tested and authorized by them so they distribute their "official" OS. Carriers wouldn't be happy without the ability to load all kinds of crapware on their devices.

It is their sandbox and if manufacturers want to play in it they play by the house rules.

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The Nexus 7 is a Google product, and only a Google product, OTAs come direction from them.

12. Olivia50

Bronze

Sep 18, 2013
    Can you please share some good tutorials or links fro flashing the OTA

13. Danyjerry53

Danyjerry53 New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    I really don't want to update to 4.3.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Why not?

15. Danyjerry53

Danyjerry53 New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Because I don't want to change the system.If I update to 4.3, something will changed and some apps will not work and such things.

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Fair enough, but you might also be missing out on performance enhancements as well as updates to built-in functions that aould make the experience even better.

Personal choice. There is no right or wrong.

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Which apps wont work?
    Having 4.3 (and now 4.4.2) I have not run in to an app that wont work (or hasnt been fixed to work with the updated OS)