1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Nexus 7 Saga

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Christoph10, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Christoph10

Christoph10 New Member

Dec 27, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Bought a Nexus 7 for the parents for Christmas. Went to the local Staples to pick up a 32GB a few days before the 24th.

Parents unwrap, start using and notice that capacity remaining is below 14GB...weird I paid for a 32GB.

Box says 32GB, however the serial number on the box does not match the serial number on the tablet itself. I went back to Staples yesterday and told them the story, they say they can't take it back as it is Google's fault?? What was I supposed to do? Buy the thing and open it right there at the cash register to make sure the serial #'s match??

Have been trying to search the net for somebody that has had the same issue, pay for a 32GB and receive a 16GB in the box.

Anybody?

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I would suggest you seek out the store manager at the Staples. I must say this is an unusual situation and one I can't really recall hearing before. Manufacturers generally have the packaging and labeling thing down pretty well. Not sure how Staples can make the statement is is Google's fault unless you told them all packaging was factory fresh when you opened it. I have to wonder if it was possibly a display model at the Staples location and they repackaged to sell the last few.

Maybe Staples can tell you if the serial number on the 16GB unit was actually sent to their store and perhaps they will agree they may have repackaged incorrectly.

Try to reason with the store manager and if they won't relent then move up the chain to District Manager, Regional Manager, Area VP, etc. Whatever you do always remember you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. DO NOT go in the store loaded for a fight, yelling and screaming. Be reasonable with them so they will do what they can to assist.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    And make sure you document what you do, who you speak with, etc. If you paid with a credit card you may, as a last resort, be able to have your credit card company intercede and protest the charge if they agree with your claim.

Of course that only applies if you paid with a credit card......

5. Christoph10

Christoph10 New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree with you. Yes, paid with a credit card. When I got it, it did have the factory plastic wrapping around it...but Staples can do that as well so it is possible that it may have been a display packed incorrectly. Will go back on Friday when the general manager is there as the manager did not have the 'security clearance' to assist.

Thanks for the input

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Good luck and do let us know what happens.....

7. Christoph10

Christoph10 New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Went and spoke to the GM of the store today and told him the story. He said he has actually heard of that happen a few times at different stores. He was very nice, took it back no problem and exchanged it for a 32GB.

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Christoph10, glad to hear they did do the right thing for you.

Thanks for posting your experience and I hope to see you here at eA in the future....

9. saezito

saezito New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    i'm waiting for next iteration of nexus 7 tablet