1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Nexus 7 vs Flash

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by iphonewarrior, Jul 27, 2012.

1. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a Nexus 7 and I'm loving it. I've been a long time lover of iOS but I thought I'd try a decent Android device!

I know the Nexus 7 doesn't ship with Flash on board, however I know you can install it. I've followed a few guides but cannot get it to run at all. One of the main reasons for me moving to Android was to use Flash for certain things that haven't yet been converted to HTML 5.

Any ideas? I'm running the latest version of Jelly Bean.

Thanks

(I've been a lurker for over a year...)

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Have you rooted the N7? I believe it must be rooted in order to install. Which guides did you use and are you getting any errors or what? Once rooted, I would suggest this guide from XDA.

You do realize that Flash is not officially supported in JB, yes?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    When I flashed JB on my Xoom, I didn't load this right away but did eventually because well not everything is HTML 5 yet. While its not officially supported, it does work well.

5. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah, I know it's not a default feature. I figured it would be quite easy to install but it appears it's not :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Everything Android

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
  7. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    I've found the problem, I haven't rooted. So that's why it's not worked :(

I've just gone to, 'root' the Nexus but my model number doesn't match the ones in the tool? Does this matter?

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yea, I know you need to be rooted, thats what Steve and I said.

What do you mean the model numbers to match?
    What does yours say vs the toolkit?

9. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    The model of my Nexus is JRO03D and the tool only has these...

[​IMG]

My model number doesn't match. Build JRO03C is the closest...

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The model select dialogue came up and I selected JRO03C even though I took the update and I'm on JRO03D but others said that would work. It's the main interface after I did that that I can't enlarge. I deleted the folder and I'm trying again. I want to select JRO03C, correct?

Edit: I downloaded and installed the Toolkit again and still can't enlarge the UI but I ignored it and proceeded. Used the Auto driver config and everything worked perfectly the first time. Outstanding job on this, Wug. Thank you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29372817&postcount=596

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Amazing discovery.....
    <sigh>

12. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Still having issues rooting?

Keep in mind that I don't have an N7 but...

This method doesn't matter what version N7 you have. It does matter though to check the MD5 of the file that you actually put onto your N7. The ES File app from the store has the ability to let you verify the MD5 checksum.

Lastly the root pushed is insecure. Meaning you're advised to get chainfire's SU immediately after pushing this root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1750835

ES File Manager
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...id.pop&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

SuperUser
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ub3NodWZvdS5hbmRyb2lkLnN1Il0.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

13. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    FYI - I'm new to Android, so give me a break...

14. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011

Nice to see you over here, not seen you on eiC for a while.

Right, I have ES File Manager (it was actually one of the first things I downloaded).

I'll grab SuperUser (not entirely sure what it does but I'm sure I'll pick it up).

15. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy New Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Not a very warm welcome from the Android community, was it? :confused:

When i got my Skyrocket, i quickly found out that rooting was not as simple as jailbreaking if you don't have a Windows machine.

16. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    I know :(

Can you use a VM to run Windows from a Mac to run the necessary software to root? I do have a Win 7 laptop but it's a works machine.

17. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Superuser is like the Unix SU command that elevates processes to full rights. On many droids it's actually the same package first pushed into the system folders to establish root. The thing is, installing it from the store will not allow it to operate properly unless you're already established root. For many hacks the first step is to get a temp root so that this app can be installed properly.

---

Been mostly lurking on eiC. Seems the place has gotten much quieter. Plus Benny makes a point of riding me. The big thing though was a recent change of work so really hadn't as much time nor work access.

---

By the way, you're an XBMC fan right? The full package is on or due for Android, not just a client, I think the server??

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-for-android/

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

18. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    So, I should remove Super User and reinstall it once I'm rooted? I'll have to use my Win 7 laptop to root tomorrow.

What has, Benny done?

XMBC is awesome, I didn't know if there was an equivalent for droid?!

19. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy New Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I haven't attempted to run a VM. Let me know if you're successful.

20. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The first reply stated that he needed to be rooted... Sooo

Anyways.. SU won't do you any good if you aren't already rooted

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

21. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Oh also... Some phones are easier to root than others. Nexus devices are among the easiest. The link that we posted to the one click method... They don't come any easier than that. Just follow the directions.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android