1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

NFC Tags

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Weapondrift, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Does anyone own or use NFC Tags? I'm considering purchasing a few but I wanted to hear other peoples opinions. I remembered when they first came out I heard that they were all the same has this changed at all?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    As far as I know there are slight difference is a few of the manufacturers. Some of the Chinese manufacturers are not completely compliant with the specs so there are a few phones certain tags won't work with. I think the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 were mentioned as requiring full NFC spec compliance to work properly.

To me these tags seem like one of those really good ideas, but what does one do with them on a day to day basis? What do you plan to use them for?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    personally I would like to use them as my alarm clock when I set it on my night stand and as my Navigation/maps when I get in my car for a long trip and mute everything when I get to work

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I have seen those mentioned along with TV control, recipe program/site access in the kitchen, home alarm arming/disarming and a few others.

Just can't get my head around how these help. Pushing a few buttons on a device, a controller, a keypad, etc do not seem to be burdensome to me, but I do know I am fast becoming an old fart.....

<sigh>

6. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Your right however most of these times I don't use half of these things except for rare occasions. I don't mind pressing the extra buttons however I see it coming in handy when I want to be lazy lol

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Once I see them more commonly used and get an understanding of why I would want to use them I am sure I will give them a try. If it makes sense of course.....

Post a report if you use them and find them handy if you don't mind.

8. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Actually I purchased some the other day so we shall see what happens ;)

Tesla Deathray

9. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    ok. I'll bite. What's an NFC tag?

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    This should give you more than you could ever want....

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks. Appreciate the link.

12. I'am considering implementing some NFC features in my app, and I've always wondered if it's worth the time. Does people own NCF tags in the first place.

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Depends on what the feature is, as NFC can also be used to transfer data between phones.
    Tags for personal use - suspect that's an incredibly small niche market. Take 20 regular people you know with smartphones and canvas their NFC tag ownership. Suspect that will tell you everything you need to know to make a decision on whether this is the right time to implement and support that capability.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Well said Bob....

15. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Got mine in today...will report back

Tesla Deathray

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Weapondrift do let us know what you do with them and what you think they will help you with or help you do better. I have to believe it is one of those things that will have uses and maybe two to five years from now it will be clear there are things we won't be able to believe we ever did without them. I am not that long-ranged in perspective though so I have to see what others find useful about them.

I know I did start to hear about them more than a year ago, but they don't seem to have caught on yet. Kind of like a good technology looking for problems to solve. Once the first"killer" function/application that NFC tags are "made for" is discovered and exploited their use will probably grow exponentially.

Almost reminds me of how when ATM cards first came out the predictions were that checks would disappear within five years. That may have been fifteen years ago. Checks have certainly been curtailed, but nowhere near disappeared.

17. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I've seen so far, has usages like I turned my volume down and set my screen off. Or I posted an appointment to my calendar that says what time I ate breakfast. They appear to be "useful" for collectively accomplishing a set of mundane individual steps. The same things that Tasker, IFTTT and Automation can all do end eccompass in a button on your screen from what I can see. That's currently. Maybe they'll be useful in the future, for someone with limited mobility or something like that... but NFC is simply RFID--passive and has to be read--which means your phone has to pass on/over/very near the tag.

Someone will take out all the light swtiches in their house, rewire them all into NFC tags, and use their phone to turn llights on and off. And then by screwed when their phone runs out of juice <G>

18. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Here are my results so far for my NFC tags:
    On the first day I programmed NFC tag A to do the following when I get in my car:
    1) Turn On navigation
    2) Turn on Sirius XM
    3) mute incoming calls
    keep in mind all of this is done simultaneously

NFC Tag B I have placed next to my bed so when I lay down it does the following:
    1) mutes sound
    2) turns on alarm clock

So yes, while I understand it negates the process of multiple steps but honestly I found it a convenience in certain instances.

When i first bought my tags i was determined to not screw it up (but somehow i always find a way :p) so I ordered the Samsung Tec-Tiles. To be honest, they are absolutly NO different from any other NFC tag. So dont think that just because you buy name brand they are any better. Another thing Ive noticed is that ANY NFC Writer will work with the tags. Therefor as before downloading name app wont be any different from any other. Some of the NFC tags are able to stick to multiple surfaces...however mine was not so lucky. I managed to strip the adhesive on the back. So to rig it. i stick it to a notecard and just trimmed around the edges. After having issues with my first NFC tag I was able to easily rewrite it...exactly like you would with a floppy disk (oh floppy disks are the fathers to cd's...just in case you didnt know ;) ) There are options in the NFC App that allows you to lock the NFC tag if you wish so that you dont have to rewrite it. Assuming its something important you use every day. Let me know if you have any questions.

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    So you seem to be giving them a thumbs up?

Has your success given you ideas on what else you might see using them for?

20. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Definitely give them a thumbs up. :)

If i had to choose what kind of purpose to use them for i can think of business trips, a scavenger hunt (have one tag giving you hints to the next clue) altho i haven't figure out how it would write the next clue. And driving so there are many functions for these things indeed and at 10$ for mine, ive actually seen cheaper.

21. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Business trips?