1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

No microphone in gmail compose?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Suzanne Knapp, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Suzanne Knapp

Suzanne Knapp New Member

Sep 2, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Is there a quick way to get to voice input in gmail? There's no microphone that I can see so have to go to settings and select voice input.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What phone and what version of Android are you on?
    Duh you are in the N7 forum....

It SHOULD be on the bottom left, just like other Jelly Bean devices....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Could it be a setting in the keyboard app itself? On my tablet, I have to open settings, language and input, and actually check the Google voice typing.

On smart keyboard pro, it is an option...

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  5. Suzanne Knapp

Suzanne Knapp New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    I had installed the Swype keyboard, which doesn't have it. Should have made the connection, but didn't. Thanks.

6. Suzanne Knapp

Suzanne Knapp New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks, it was the Swype keyboard. Apparently you can have Swype or Voice but not both.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Are you sure it's not a secondary button... Have to long press one of the keys?

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

• Like Like x 1
  8. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Swype keyboard on my Galaxy Tab. Microphone is on bottom right.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Swype keyboard on my Galaxy Tab. Microphone is on bottom right.

10. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    The microphone is on the swipe keyboard as well . Bottom right next to the input key. Looks sort of like a flame and I am using it now. This is on my droid Razr Maxx . And I am surprised that Swype, but spelling correctly, including the word Swype !

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

11. Suzanne Knapp

Suzanne Knapp New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't see it, so asked at the Swype forum and found that pulling down the notifications bar presents a Choose input method menu that includes Google voice typing. Not as convenient as a dedicated key but better than going to settings. Thanks.

12. Suzanne Knapp

Suzanne Knapp New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    The flame thing on the Nexus 7 brings up a Recording mode. Yes, it takes voice input but isn't as interactive as the normal voice mode - when you stop speaking it displays "processing" for several seconds before showing what you've said. Have no idea where the recording goes or how to access it!

I am using the Swype beta keyboard. I saw at the forum that there is also a released version but the beta is the only one that seems to be available for download.

13. Suzanne Knapp

Suzanne Knapp New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Oops - just caught on. That "flame" is the Dragon logo. So what comes up is Dragon voice instead of Google voice. Not a recording mode, just another version of voice input. Swype was just acquired by Nuance, creator of Dragon.

14. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I had downloaded the Swype beta to test this before I posted...So it it actually working now?

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Wow I totally forgot about the dragon flame... Been a while since I used swype. Been using SwiftKey for a while now.. It uses stock Google voice typing.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

• Like Like x 1
  16. Suzanne Knapp

Suzanne Knapp New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks, I will look into Swiftkey.